Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Remote doesn't work

Jump to solution

@Kshann 

Thanks for the post.

I have yet to receive a PM from you to further assist.

As stated in my previous messages, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

For more information about how to send a PM, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tcober65 wrote:

I’m having the same thing happen I just bought Roku express and went through the troubleshooting process and no go 

The Express uses an IR remote. That means the remote has to have a clear line of sight between the remote and the Express. Nothing can block the view. Next, ensure the batteries are in the correct orientation. Some remotes have the batteries alternate up/down, while others have the batteries pointing the same direction. There should be a sticker within the battery container showing the correct orientation.

Next, test the IR remote for functionality. Look at the front of the remote through a digital camera, such as a phone camera. When you press any button on the remote, you should see a flashing light through the camera. No flashing light, the remote is not working. If you see the flashing light, and there's nothing blocking the view of the Express, then the Roku is likely defective. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ggeddis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can't get the remote to work on my Roku express I just bought. I have put in new batteries, confirmed with my phone camera that the remote is sending IR, but I can't complete the Roku setup because it is not responding to the remote. Your post says to send you a PM. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ggeddis wrote:

I can't get the remote to work on my Roku express I just bought. I have put in new batteries, confirmed with my phone camera that the remote is sending IR, but I can't complete the Roku setup because it is not responding to the remote. Your post says to send you a PM. How do I do that?

You send the PM to @RokuDanny-R . Click his name and you go to his profile page. There is a private message button there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ggeddis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
alfson2

Jump to solution

I have done all the same things,  no access to Roku.   The fact that their service is a message board  is bull**bleep**.  Give me a # and fix it.

No problem,  I cant do anything on my roku.   I can't move anything with my controller 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@alfson2 

Thanks for the post.

If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread and are still not able to resolve the issue, it's possible that you may have a defective remote. Where did you purchase the device? Have you tried returning the defective device and exchanging it with another unit to see if you are still experiencing the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MROTJO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku Express remote was working fine for a few weeks and then yesterday stopped working. I have taken batteries out, unplugged the actual device from HDMI and charger and also tried restarting the Roku from the system menu. Remote does not respond. The light is on the actual device and the Roku remote app does work and so does the remote from a second device that we have, therefore, I am thinking it is the remote that is defective. I tried sending a request for replacement since it is within 30 days of purchase but I keep getting errors when I try to submit.  Can someone help with this issue or is there another way to contact support.  TYIA!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MROTJO

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
robynp8870

Jump to solution

My remote will not do anything  it was working  I fell asleep  woke up and it was frozen.  I unplugged it and the remote won't  do anything.  I have done all it says to do  and still nothing.  I just got it in October  but just started  using  it now dosen't  work what do I do?

0 Kudos