Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alberthome2
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K remote range decreased

Hello. Just today my basic Roku remote's range decreased to about 4 feet directly in front of the receiver. I've only had this Roku for a few months. I have tried the various options to reset, reconnect, fresh batteries, etc. Nothing seems to work. I did download the app to my iphone and it works great. This remote worked fine yesterday. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4K+ remote range decreased

@alberthome2 

The Roku Express 4K+ doesn't come with a basic IR remote (Roku Simple Remote). Rather, it comes with a WiFi Direct connected remote (Voice Remote). So what happened to cause you to switch remotes? I'm wondering if some history may point to a clue.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
alberthome2
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4K remote range decreased

My bad on the model. It is an Express 4K, not a plus. I am using the basic remote that came with the device.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@alberthome2 

The Roku Simple Remote that came with your Roku Express 4K is indeed an IR remote. Of course, that means it needs clear line of sight.

Ensure the front of the Roku device is fully clean and visible (I'm uncertain where the sensor of the recent Roku devices is located) as well as the end of the remote. Don't use chemicals apart from water, and then only with a damp cloth, not actual water with droplets and everything, then dry. Residue from other cleaning can build up, and a slightly damp cloth followed by drying cloth (plain cotton wash towel is great, not paper towels) is good at ensuring it's clean. And, again, ensure that nothing is blocking the end of the remote and the front of the Roku device. Keep in mind that it doesn't need a clear path from your eyes to the front of the Roku, but from the end of the remote to the front of the Roku.

Distance isn't usually a problem. Light, including IR, should remain focused enough to go well beyond just a few feet. Normally the problem is obstructions, such as dust, cleaning residue, knick-knacks, or improperly positioned equipment.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@alberthome2-

Another possibility is interference from other IR sources.  Have you recently introduced new lighting sources in the vicinity of the Roku?  As the sun moves further north this season is now falling directly on the Roku?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X