Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Rewind turning tv off

@Anette

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ElleMc
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem. Vizio TV, Roku Ultra box. After the TV turns off, the remote no longer works. I need to unplug the Roku and restart before the remote will work again. This occurs intermittently (not every time). I'm not sure if it always happens on the same channel, but it seems to happen most often with Netflix.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@ElleMc-

Roku operating system version 10.5 added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku devices. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ElleMc
Reel Rookie

Thank you makalguy. There is no auto power settings option. Also, I don't think that is the problem. The problem is that when I press the rewind button, it shuts off the TV. This is regardless of how long I've been using - or not using - the device. It shuts off the TV and the remote stops working until I unplug my Roku to reset it.

0 Kudos
RK_KC
Channel Surfer

Same issue with my Roku Ulta and 20 year old sony wega. Hit rewind, turns tv off and after turning it back on, its always on vudu channel. Sometimes remote still works sometimes it has to be learned. So its more than 2 people out of 50 mil or whatever statistic was spouted off in another comment. People just dont want to take the time to post a question only to get referred to the maker of product or the company that owns the app, so on. Most threads end with something like this "sorry, its not us, its got to be your tvs, I bet you two have the same exact make/model tv, it cant be roku" or "sorry its not us, thats not our app, you need to contact the company that owns it" or "sorry its not roku, it has to be the way you are pushing the button on your remote, go to you tube and watch some videos on how to use a remote". Normal blame shifting, nobody wants to step up and say "okay, it may not be our fault but Im going to do what I can to help you solve your issue" (referring to paid cust serv reps, not you). That's if you actually get to interact with a human, someone that understands words grouped together.

So as I said its also happening to me, today, yesterday, the day before, a few weeks ago and periodically over the last year. No, its not because they have the same make/model tv (come on, really?), however unlikely that would have been. It's roku changing stuff again and now shortening the life of my tv bulb. I'm glad our nukes arent on a google, roku, amazon, uber, tesla launch system. If so we would have already accidentally nuked someone by now. Then when the govt. calls to ask what happened "why did a missile just launch and wipe out China", they'd say "sorry wasn't our fault, you need to call the scientist who made the nuke or you can post your question to our forum."

0 Kudos
Kristen1
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue. A show will be playing on Hulu, Netflix, Peacock or Prime and I will press the rewind button on my Roku Ultra remote and both the Roku box and my LG TV just turn off. When it comes back on it's always on Netflix even though not what I was in when it turned off. Also my Roku remote always needs to be paired again every time. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Kristen1
Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote to see if you are experiencing the same issue? Have you made sure that the Home button isn't stuck or lodged? 

In regards to the buttons turning off your LG TV, have you tried re-pairing your remote to the TV to see if you are still experiencing the issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KevinPr
Binge Watcher

Same issue with me too. The only same variable to all of the other posts on here with this same issue…the rewind button turning off the tv and not useable until Roku is shutdown (unplugged) and restarted, is mine too is the Roku Ultra device.

I tried all the suggestions provided. Including checking for any updates, replacing remote batteries, uninstalling the Tubi channel and YouTube Tv channel (the two channels it has done this shutting off the tv for me), restarting the Roku Ultra and unplugging and re-plugging back in the Roku, and none of those suggestions resolved the issue.

Reading all the other posts, it’s obviously a Roku Ultra / remote issue.

Side note, my issue is also the same as others, in it doesn’t do it every time, but it does it more times than not.

Will look forward to hear a solution. Because it isn’t fun clicking on the rewind button only to have your tv shut off. Then have to unplug your Roku, restart, and then go back to your show and try to get back to where the Roku remote decided to take the rewind as a shutdown tv command. Because if you accidentally forward pass the spot where it shut off your tv rewinding. Do you even dare  try rewinding again? 😱 And my TV is an RCA. Not any one of the other’s posts TVs.

Thank you!

Kevin

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@KevinPr

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried re-pairing your remote to your TV to see if the issue is still occuring?

For more information about how to properly pair your remote to your TV, visit our Support page here: Set up TV controls

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kristen1
Reel Rookie

Hi, the only thing I dare do now is do the 10 second rewind button on the remote and just hit it several times until I get to where I need to be or just use the Roku remote app on my phone. There don't seem to be any issues using the rewind on the app so far but like you said it just gets too old to have to keep unplugging the device so I just use the 10 second button instead of taking a chance.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.