Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yesort

Replacement remote for Roku 3

Does anyone know of a replacement controller that is compatible with the Roku 3? I see a lot of remotes on Amazon that only work for the tv but am unsure of one that will work. Can someone help me with a link?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacement remote for Roku 3

The Roku 3 should work with the currently available Voice Remotes. There are two versions of the  Roku 3, and while both are quite old they do both support WiFi Direct remotes. Most remotes that are labeled for Roku TV are IR based, and those will NOT work on a Roku player (they use different IR codes). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Roku Community, @yesort.

Thanks for reaching out here. We'd be happy to provide you with further information about this.

In addition to what our Community expert provided, you may check these links for Roku remotes that are compatible with your Roku 3 streaming device:

You can also check the compatibility section for more details and see if your Roku 3's model number is compatible with Roku's rechargeable remotes.

I hope you find this information helpful. Feel free to respond if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@yesort-

This page shows you the various remotes currently available from Roku.  The Roku Voice models previously mentioned in other replies connect to the Roku via WiFi and so are point-anywhere.  The Roku Players remote (formerly called the Simple remote) and Roku TV remote control via infrared (IR) and must be pointed in the direction of the Roku they are to control. 

Your Roku 3 came with a WiFi remote but also can be controlled by IR.  It is compatible with all Roku remotes except the Roku TV remote (Roku TVs use a different set of IR control codes from those for separate Roku devices).  If using one of the Voice Remotes, like the original Roku 3 remote, their WiFi signal permits the Roku to be placed out of sight behind the TV or inside a closed cabinet if desired.  If using the Players remote, for the IR signal to work, the Roku must be placed where the front of the Roku has an unobstructed line-of-sight from the location of the remote. 

Note that there are numerous IR remotes from 3rd parties being sold as Roku replacements or as universal remotes that contain codes for Rokus.  These should work as well but like the official Roku Players remote, they require line-of-sight to the front of the Roku.  Make sure any 3rd party remote is for a Roku DEVICE and not a Roku TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.