Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calwestray
Reel Rookie

Re: Remotes with numeric pad?

Jump to solution

I got that remote, hoping it would do the job. It doesn't work at all with Roku. 
I was disappointed.

0 Kudos
loriwoo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks for letting me know. I didn't think it would, I don't think this tv has anyway to recognize numeral input. 

MotorcycleCindy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Let me clarify:

In order to change channels you must be in the directory, channel line up. Move the highlighted bar over to the column with the numbers. "All Channels".  Key in your channel. It will go to that channel.

It will not recognize a decimal on any free over the air channels.

All other buttons work also. Make sure you have new batteries in your remote.

Here are photos of it working.

Before I key in new channel.Before I key in new channel.

Requesting channel 290Requesting channel 290

Went to channel 290Went to channel 290

My TV is TCL Roku, 5 series, 55 inch.

MotorcycleCindy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello. I have clarified how to make the number feature work to change channels. Please scroll to find response. It includes 3 photos of it changing channels.

All buttons work (volume, channel up, down, last channel, on/off, etc.)

THIS IS ON A TCL ROKU 5-SERIES 55" TV

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@loriwoo wrote:

I already bought a roku remote with buttons that said it would work but it does not.  

You probably just bought the wrong remote.

Roku devices and Roku TVs (i.e. TVs with Roku capability built in) use different sets of infrared control codes.  A direct-line-of sight infrared Roku "Simple remote" will not control a Roku TV.  A manufacturer-supplied TV remote that comes with a Roku TV will not control a separate Roku device.

Roku TVs and all but some very old Roku devices can be controlled by remotes that communicate via WiFi-Direct instead of infrared.  In the current Roku line those are the two Roku Voice remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bj75

Jump to solution

yes i do it i say ch. 455 and it comes up

0 Kudos
ericepp

Jump to solution

@makaiguy 

That is incorrect. I work for Spectrum Cable, and all Roku TVs despite brand or year of manufacture, use the same code. I have been doing this since before ROKU, and can attest that they are all the same. I program cable remotes for them on a very frequent basis and they are all, in fact IR controlled, not RF.

You are correct that the external streaming ROKU devices are different than the "ROKU TV" remote. Some functions will work between them, but it is limited. It is because they use a different set of instructions; it has nothing to do with IR or RF. They are all IR. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@ericepp 

Sorry but @makaiguy is right, I bought every brand of Roku tv IR remote but one, and I own TCL, insignia, and hisense Roku TVs. There is two tv code sets used, one which matches the Admiral tv code of old, and the other  matches the Goldstar tv of old. The Admiral code set is used by the majority of Roku tv brands. Where the Goldstar is only used by Hisense and Sharp Roku tvs. But Hisense & Sharp accept both code sets, that's why you think there is only one. My TCL remote works on the Hisense, but the Hisense remote has no effect on the TCL or the Insignia Roku TVs.

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@makaiguy Sorry I know I am responding to a two month old post but if I understand correctly a TCL Roku TV can be controlled by a WiFi-Direct remote and can also be controlled by an IR remote such as the Insignia remote.  Is that correct?  I don't have a remote problem but I am just curious.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@HDMIGuy 

Yes, all Roku tv's can be paired to Wifi Voice remote, which doesn't turn off the IR reception, so it can accept both type of signals without changing a thing. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.