Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samco70

Remotes and Devices option doesn't show up in Settings menu

I'm trying to pair a new remote. It doesn't have a pairing button so, according to the instructions I've seen, I need to go to Settings > Remotes & Devices. Problem is, there is no Remotes & Devices option in the menu. I've scrolled through all the other menus and submenus in all the Settings and there is nothing at all anywhere in the menu. Shouldn't there be? Has this setting been moved/hidden somewhere? 

The only options under Settings are: 

Network

Theme

Display Type

Accessibility

Audio

Home Screen

Payment Method

Legal Notices

Privacy

Help

System

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Remotes and Devices option doesn't show up in Settings menu

My Roku has those menu items plus “Remotes and Devices” and “Apple Airplay”.

What Roku model do you have? (four digit number please) What OS version?  You can find both of those under settings -> system -> about.

0 Kudos
samco70

Model: 3700X (Roku Express) 

Software version: 11.0.0 • build 4193-28 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Well, that model came with IR remote which requires no pairing.  Is the new remote an IR remote?  (If it doesn't have a pairing button - I assume it is!  I missed that detail the first time.)  If so, that should "just work" if you point it at the device and push a button.

0 Kudos
samco70

The new remote does not have a pairing button. But ... Doesn't work. It's a cheaper generic one that was given to me, so I guess it's not a huge deal. I still have the original, and I use the app most of the time, but this one has Power and Volume controls for the TV which I was hoping to use. Oh well. 

Thanks for the info! 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Are you sure its a Roku device remote and not a Roku TV remote?  I believe the TVs use different IR codes.

Also on "generic" IR remotes, you often have to give them a code to tell them what kind of device they are controlling.  You really want a manual for that since there are often some pretty obscure button maneuvers you need to do to set it up.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@samco70 

As was just clarified for me recently by @Tivoburkee , only Roku Express models 3900 and above will work with the Voice Remote if going to get a Roku replacement.

For the Roku Express 3700, you will still need to use either the Roku Simple Remote or a compatible IR universal streaming remote. (this way, can at least program for TV control).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
samco70

It's possible that it may be for a TV. There is no model number on it. The brand inside the battery compartment says "Bedycoon." It's not a voice remote. Someone else bought it for my mother, it didn't work on her Roku stick (apparently most newer remotes don't work on the Stick), so I took it to see if I could use it on mine. Oh well. 

Appreciate all the help! 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@samco70 

From my understanding, unless you use a universal streaming remote with a hub (ie. Harmony), then your mother will need the Roku Voice Remote since the Streaming Sticks need RF (radio frequency/wifi) compatiblity, while the other Roku streaming devices can all use IR. (with these, can just use an inexpensive universal streaming remote compatible with Roku devices).

Of course, she can also use the Roku Remote App available in the Play/Apple stores to also control the Streaming Sticks if she is in need.  Just be aware, unless you have an actual RokuTV, any power and volume keys in the Roku remote app will not work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mike457
Reel Rookie

I also have a 3700x. I purchased a brand new Roku voice remote (not pro) to replace the original remote that I lost. As Strega mentioned, the new remote “just worked” after I installed batteries in the remote.

However, I notice that after I press a button on the remote, the green light on the upper left hand corner blinks, indicating the remote is in “pairing mode”. Is there a way to tell the remote to get out of pairing mode? I’m worried this will have a negative impact on battery life or may cause some unforeseen issue.

Also, does this mean that I won’t be able to control my TV using the remote’s power and volume buttons?

0 Kudos