Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WasARokFan
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick RC-AL2 price gouging.

Has anybody else noticed that the streaming stick voice remotes are 4-6 times as expensive as all other Roku remotes. Interestingly enough, it is, in fact, these remotes that I see mysteriously breaking down the most. Millions of these streaming sticks are sold yet the remotes are grossly overpriced compared to all other Roku remotes. Definitely rethinking this whole Roku brand loyalty I’ve had for 10 years. $30 for any remote when they only cost $2 is dishonest.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming Stick RC-AL2 price gouging.

I’ve never priced a Roku remote since I’ve never needed to buy one, but “box-style” Rokus can take IR or RF remotes which allows them to be driven by many remotes made by many companies.  Stick-style remotes are Wi-Fi/RF only so your choices are much fewer.  So, for maximum flexibility in remote choices, I do prefer non-stick models.

Sticks are intended to be plugged into HDMI ports which are nearly always on the backs of TVs where IR signals will not reach.  That’s why they use the RF remotes that can go right through the TV. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick RC-AL2 price gouging.

@WasARokFan, 4-6 times as expensive?!  Where are you coming up with that?  Roku themself only makes three remotes.  The simple remote is $15, the voice remote is $20, and the pro version is $30.  If you see a $2 remote you can bet it's a used simple remote or isn't from Roku and won't work with sticks.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

The technology in a voice remote is literally decades more advanced that that in a simple remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.