Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote won't pair, new out of the box

I purchased a new "Roku Streaming Stick 4k" with voice remote. The product model is well hidden, but the product box calls it SKU# 3820R2 and that matches the Amazon listing. The initial step of pairing the remote isn't working. I have found other threads where others have had the same problem; I haven't seen anyone solve it, and I've tried the various suggestions to no avail. I have the voice remote without a pairing button. The Roku is plugged into an HDMI behind the TV and the Roku's USB is plugged into power. The TV is an LG.

Upon turning the TV and Roku on, I get a Roku splash screen, followed by a language selection screen - this starts on English, but without a paired remote, you can't change or select the language. That's ok because after a few seconds it proceeds. The next screen describes what to do in pictures - phase 1, pull the tab out of the battery compartment in the remote (effectively putting in the batteries), phase 2, press and hold back and home for 5 seconds, and phase 3 the green light should then start flashing.

What happens for me - once there are batteries in the remote, the green light just starts flashing. Pressing and holding back and home doesn't change anything, it keeps flashing. Holding for 5 seconds changes nothing - it keeps flashing and it isn't paired to the Roku. Even though this product is designed to work without line of sight (since the Roku is plugged in behind the TV, I tried doing this with line of sight between the remote and the Roku and that doesn't matter either.

I have seen a suggestion to try Duracell brand batteries rather than the ones that came with the Roku or any other brand. This made no difference.

I have seen multiple suggestions by Roku staff to order the free HDMI extender. While it was unclear to me how that would make the remote pair, I ordered it anyway, it came today, I connected the Roku to the extender and the extender to the TV and it made no difference.

I have seen suggestions to try different HDMI ports. It's unclear why that would matter - the Roku is clearly communicating with the TV fine. I tried it and it made no difference.

I have seen suggestions to try a different TV. This is my only TV. Again, though, the Roku and TV appear to be communicating with each other just fine.

I have seen suggestions to factory reset the Roku, possibly with the app. I don't see how to set the app up to connect with this Roku - the Roku can't get past the screen of not pairing with its remote.

Is this just a bad batch of remotes out there? Is there a button combination to "factory reset" the remote? What should I try next? I've had prior Rokus and they just worked.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote won't pair, new out of the box

Hi @IsItAboutMyCube, thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We appreciate your report and the troubleshooting steps you've taken to resolve this issue, and we're sorry for your experience. Please check your email inbox; we have sent you a private message to provide further assistance.

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to help you get back on streaming to your convenience and satisfaction.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Remote won't pair, new out of the box

SOLVED

Ok, so after posting my message, I gave it one more try. The Roku stick itself has a reset button on it. I had previously tried pressing it as well as holding it for a while, and neither did anything. Then I tried holding it down with the Roku unplugged from power and continuing to hold it while plugging it in and for several seconds after. The Roku started as before but then immediately said that it was pairing with the remote. I didn't need to do anything further with the remote (which was still just blinking the green light even without me pressing anything on it).

It works fine now.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.