Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtisls87
Channel Surfer

Remote won't pair, but it does control the volume on my surround sound receiver

Device type: Roku Express 4K+

Serial number: X02200K98AHM

Added: Jan 31, 2023

I have a voice remote with no pairing button. about 2-3 weeks ago, it lost its pairing, but I was able to get it paired again. Yesterday, I tried to use the remote and it is no longer working. I again tried to pair it, but this time, it would not pair. The LED was flashing on the remote, but the Roku pairing screen kept saying "still looking for remote."
Additionally, the voice remote does work to control the volume of the surround sound receiver, which is has always worked via HDMI from the Roku. (Roku => Yamaha Surround receiver => LG TV). 
The remote model # is RC-GZ1. 
Just to be clear, I replaced the batteries with new ones. I followed the pairing instructions for a voice remote with no pairing button, multiple times. Sometimes the LED would flash, sometimes it wouldn't and I had to try again. The Roku pairing screen on the TV would go to a state where it says it's still waiting for a remote, and then eventually I would get the failure screen asking me to try again, or check connection, et cetera.

At the moment, I am using the Roku app on my iPhone for navigation, and the voice remote to control the volume or mute the sound. Please help me fix or determine that something is defective.

Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote won't pair, but it does control the volume on my surround sound receiver

Hello! @curtisls87,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your contacting us regarding the pairing issue with your Roku Voice remote and your attempts at troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. We are glad to assist you.

For this reason, we recommend that you always connect your Roku device directly to your TV during setup. If you plan to set up your Roku device for surround sound, temporarily connect it directly to your TV and complete the setup before making any connections to the AVR or soundbar.

Follow these troubleshooting steps to fix issues with your Roku voice remote. Detailed instructions on how to perform each step are in the sections below. After performing each step, test your remote with your streaming device before continuing to the next step.

1. Reboot your voice remote
  2. Reboot your streaming device
  3. Replace the batteries in your voice remote
  4. Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Reboot your voice remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Reboot your streaming device

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV
  5. Once you see the Home screen, try to use your remote to control your device

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Your voice remote and streaming device must be in pairing mode at the same time to complete the pairing process. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Follow the steps in the "Reboot your streaming device" section above and then perform the appropriate step below to put your remote in pairing mode.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and home button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

When your streaming device finds your voice remote, an on-screen confirmation message will appear.

Please keep us informed about your findings, and we will be delighted to offer further assistance.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
curtisls87
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote won't pair, but it does control the volume on my surround sound receiver

Following the instructions you gave, I connected the Roku directly to the TV. It made no difference. I tried directly as you instructed by putting the remote in pairing mode right after the Roku booted up, and it did not pair. I then went into Settings/Remotes & devices, and tried to pair there. I selected the right type of remote (LED to the left of the power button) and put the voice remote into pairing mode by holding down the arrow and home keys. After a period of time, the screen changed to "still looking for remote..." and after another period of time, I got the "No remote found" error screen. 

Clearly, it fails even with a direct connection between the Roku and the TV.

What else can we try?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @curtisls87.

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken to try to pair your Roku remote. Rest assured that we will help you find the best resolution possible. 

In this case, it may have something to do with your physical Roku remote. I will coordinate this with our Support team for additional reinforcement. Kindly check your inbox, as I will reach out to you via Private Message to gather further details.

Your continuous cooperation as we work on this is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@curtisls87  While I've never owned this particular model, I have to think the remote uses WiFi direct like other models. That said, have you tried using WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar if you have an iPhone? I ask since the app will show how many others are using the same WiFi channel and if there are many, I suggest you log into the router and switch to a less congested channel..not sure if it will solve the problem but it will definitely improve your streaming experience!

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.