Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lauren21
Reel Rookie

Remote stopped working after last update

My remote (basic) suddenly stopped working after the last update. I've followed all the advice online but nothing's worked (including new batteries, knew it wouldn't be that obviously because it was right after the software update, unplugging and plugging back in, all of that). Any ideas what to do next? The remote on the phone app works but it's a real pain to use it and I want my remote back! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote stopped working after last update

Thank you for joining us here in the Roku Community, @lauren21!

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. We'd be happy to investigate the cause of your Roku remote not working and help you get back on streaming. 

Can you please confirm if this is the remote that comes with your Roku Express? If so, kindly specify the specific buttons that are not working so we can assess your concern further. 

In the meantime, you may visit our support article dedicated to this: How to fix your Roku Players (simple) remote that is not working

We'll be looking forward to your update!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lauren21
Reel Rookie

Yes this is the remote that came with my Roku Express. None of the buttons are working. 

0 Kudos
Anthony888

Streaming stick stopped working

My streaming stick plus 4k stopped working around the same time as this update. It freezes and does not respond to the remote. I've done everything including a factory reset. This stinks. Roku should fix the bugs in this OS, or offer new devices not a 30% goodwill. Developers should investigate. I'm thinking of switching to Google, Amazon, or Apple. Be better.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for clarifying, @lauren21.

In this case, I'd be happy to coordinate this with our Support team for additional assistance. Kindly keep an eye on your inbox on the Community website, as I will reach out to you via Private Message to gather further details.

Furthermore, your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @lauren21.

To investigate your Roku Express further, can you please provide us with your current software version and a Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)? You may use your other available Roku remote.

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lauren21
Reel Rookie

Hi, here are the details:

Software version: 13.0.0 build 24056-AE

Tracker ID: 4U-207 -148

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you, @lauren21.

This has already been forward to the respective team for further investigation. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
keithx13
Streaming Star

The same thing happened to the remote for one of my 3 streaming sticks in 2021 after an OS update.  Nothing that I tried, or that Roku ever suggested, corrected the issue.  I ended up using the Roku app on my phone for a year until the streaming stick itself died after only 3 years in service.  I did not replace it with another Roku.  The other 2 Rokus still work, but I have to take the batteries out of one of the remotes or the batteries only last about 10 or 15 days before they need replacing.  But the third remote works fine.

0 Kudos
slp101
Reel Rookie

Re: SW version #13.0.0 - build #24057

It's very important to note that, although my remotes (I have three Ultra 4640's) didn't stop working entirely, the most recent "build" (that was downloaded to my three boxes all within the past week) has definitely broken the proper functionality of these remotes (all three)! Extremely glitchy on the home page! Trying to use the navigation buttons results in various erratic behaviors! It will work, then not work, then work again, then not work again! You'll navigate 2-3 steps and then it'll freeze and require several pushes. Then, instead of moving one position, it'll move 3-4. It's a real nightmare! I've personally never experienced anything this bad (in terms of erratic remote functionality) in the many years I've been using Roku boxes. This occurred immediately after the last "build" (#24057) was pushed out to my boxes.

.....and yes, I've tried everything! Including testing a variety of Roku remotes that I have on hand. It's not the remotes. It's how the boxes are processing the commands from the remotes.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.