Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kandiland
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

and what fix was that?

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Are these remotes all attached to the same device or different devices?  Which channel are you seeing the skips on?

The fix that's helped some people, although maybe not permanently, has been to restart the device, either by removing power for a few seconds or by going to Settings / System / Power / Restart device.

We're still trying to understand what set of channel launches and content playback is pushing devices into this bad state, but a restart seems to clear it up.

0 Kudos
husker_nut
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How do I resolve this issue if it's impacting a TCL TV running the Roku OS? How to reboot the device? 

0 Kudos
CharlieRutledge
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For me, it only manifested as skipping when using the arrow keys to navigate, either selecting a channel from the Roku Home screen or selecting programming inside a channel (specifically netflix, amazon, and pbs- perhaps others but definitely those). I never noticed any issues with pausing / resuming video. I never tried it in BritBox.

I did a system restart via the menu on all four of my Rokus a couple weeks ago, that fixed the problem for me and at least so far it has not come back.

RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@husker_nut wrote:

How do I resolve this issue if it's impacting a TCL TV running the Roku OS? How to reboot the device? 

Settings / System / Power / Restart device

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@CharlieRutledge wrote:

(specifically netflix, amazon, and pbs- perhaps others but definitely those).

That's very interesting for our investigation -- we'd not seen Netflix or Amazon mentioned as channels affected by this before.  Those are built using a different programming model from the usual BrightScript-based channel, so we didn't think they were affected.  Thanks for posting.

0 Kudos
dreynolds

Jump to solution

I have 2 Rokus on 2 different tvs in completely different locations in my house, and this is happening with both of them. one is an ultra and the other a premiere +

this is a Roku problem. 

it's been doing this on both for weeks and I can't find an answer 

0 Kudos
husker_nut
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, this did the trick! Issue mitigated. 

0 Kudos
CoffeeHound
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

wow thanks! this did the trick for me! Remote was fine on the home page, but within every app, it jumped ahead 3 or 4 spaces when I wanted to move just one space. The worst channel for me was PBS. But I power cycled the box then re-paired the remote and voila! Working like it should!

0 Kudos
FB10331
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't think the problem is with the remote, but it's with the Roku software and how it interprets the RF/IR signal received from the remote. On my Roku Ultra it skips two (rows, icons, channels, etc.).

Devices like Remotes and Keyboards have software to interpret button presses. When pressed the button could sent out multiple "key down" signals, the software in the remote/keyboard filters out the repeated key presses, also known as Debouncing.  Do a google search for "software key debouncing" to find out more about this.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.