Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zetm
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

Same issue here old remote and 2nd generation ROKU.  With so many reporting this are we still going to blame this on batteries?  Also, remote works fine other services like YoutubeTv, Youtube, Hulu, just the ROKU app has these weird bugs…

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@zetm wrote:

Same issue here old remote and 2nd generation ROKU.  With so many reporting this are we still going to blame this on batteries?  Also, remote works fine other services like YoutubeTv, Youtube, Hulu, just the ROKU app has these weird bugs…

No one is blaming this on the remote anymore, it's a Roku OS software issue.  See my numerous other responses here.  We have been looking at lots of possible causes and are getting closer to having a solution for most of the people with this problem, but for now, it looks like rebooting your Roku set-top box or TV will clear up the problem, at least for a while.

Vtcrusade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I should have read all the thread before posting, rebooting both of the Roku's appears to have fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
FB10331
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

A volume control runaway related issue to the channel skipping.

The channel skipping and volume control keeps increasing or decreasing after a single button press. Once it starts changing (up or down) pressing the opposite button stops the runaway. These two issues may have the same root cause. 

The HDMI cable sends video, audio signals as well as basic device control from the Roku to the HDTV. From more information on volume control via HDMI, search for "what-is-hdmi-cec". 

My setup includes: Samsung 4k HDTV, Roku Ultra, and Roku Voice Remote Pro.

0 Kudos
Lrwdignity

Jump to solution

Hey, all this problem is not something new. I am noticing a lot of people having that problem. I have several apps, and it doesn’t matter which one I’m on, it jumps all over the place. I wonder if it’s another way to get customers to buy another Roku, because that doesn’t work either, this is actually been happening for a few years but now it’s like all of the apps and it’s almost impossible if not impossible to even get to the one that you want. I’m really thinking about switching over to Google and leaving Roku alone too problematic. 

0 Kudos
Jwehall
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My remote does the same thing.  I have the roku plugged directly into a wall.  I have changed the batteries in the remote.  I have even just replaced the remote.  Please help.

0 Kudos
CoffeeHound
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Jwehall wrote:

My remote does the same thing.  I have the roku plugged directly into a wall.  I have changed the batteries in the remote.  I have even just replaced the remote.  Please help.

Unplug your Roku box for a few moments, then replug it. Make sure (on system page) that your Roku software is up to date. That fixed my problem a couple of weeks ago, and no issues since.

DarkMagician
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If it helps troubleshooting the issue with remote skipping I just want to add that it seems to be most prevalent when navigating in the Plex app. 

0 Kudos
DarkMagician
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can also confirm that disconnecting power to the Roku ultra and rebooting solves the issue at least temporarily. 

0 Kudos
Vtcrusade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Pluto and Haystack apps are almost unusable when this is happening. Strangely though when on the Roku homepage no matter how bad that remote is skipping in apps, there's no problem on the homepage. works fine.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.