Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jburley24

Remote pairing with out a pairing button

Was having difficulties with my TV this forum recommended factory reset. Continued on with the factory reset all is well let’s get started screen comes up my remote no longer works ( besides to power up my tv ) go and purchase a new remote get a little bit further into the set up not sending the email so recommended another factory reset remote is doing them same thing again with no change from the recommended troubleshooting techniques . I can’t keep buying remotes for them to work for five minutes. Is there any way to get the remotes working again if they don’t have a pairing button ? 

18 REPLIES 18
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote pairing with out a pairing button

@Jburley24

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What Roku model device are you using, as well as what TV are you using?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I just moved and when setting up my tv Roku at new place remote will not work. Battery replaced did a few troubleshooting ur generic **bleep** unplug/remove battery together blah blah. Nothing worked. I can't setup my Roku to wifi wo a remote.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Jburley24 a Roku remote without a pairing button means it's an IR remote, and there's nothing to pair. You can see if the remote works by looking at it though a digital camera, like the one on a phone. If you see a flashing light through the camera when you press a button on the remote, then it's working. If there's no light, make sure you're inserted the batteries correctly. I've seen Roku remotes that have both batteries pointed the same way, and others pointed in opposite directions.

With an IR remote, there must be clear line of sight between the remote and the Roku. Nothing can block the two devices from seeing each other. Make sure the Roku is clearly visible across the entire front of the case.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Rocoocitywaste5 without knowing the model number of your Roku, it's difficult to assist you. The model number should be printed on the case somewhere. If you have a Roku Stick (that's the one that connects directly to a TV without a cable), then you must have a working Roku remote to get it connected. Any other Roku will work with generic IR remotes that you can find anywhere that sells electronic devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos

How do I program Roku remote to 50 inch Emerson 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sherriedavis,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are inquiring about how to set up your Roku remote. 

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support

You may also refer to this Support page on how to set up a Roku Voice remote: How to set up your Roku voice remote | Official Roku Support

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RAS-D

Dan,

I have a new Simple Roku (IR) remote to replace the lost remote for our Roku device (Model is: 3941X. SN: SO7P21A0366A).  So far, I have replaced the batteries and ensured that they are facing the correct direction.  There is a clear line of sight between the IR Remote and the Roku, however there is no response.  I've been using the remote app on my phone which has been working well.  What other steps might I try to make the new IR remote work or do I need a different remote for this model?

Thank you

0 Kudos
renojim

@RAS-D, check that the remote is really working.  Point it at the camera in your phone and you should see a flash of light on the screen when you press a button on the remote.  It's rare, but it's also possible that the IR receiver in the Roku device is bad.  Some people have also reported that their remote only works a few inches from the device.  I don't know what causes that unless it's just weak batteries.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

The Simple remote is supposed to work with almost all Roku players. Since the app is working for you, use it to go to the Settings/Remote menu and see if your old remote is still shown as paired. If so, delete it, just in case it's turning the IR function off because a WiFi remote is paired with it. 

Dan

0 Kudos