Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeamJK0816
Reel Rookie

Remote pairing for 36500R/X

I have a very old roku stick (its either the 3500R or 3500W) and I do not have the remote that came with it. I did have it setup on my phone with the app to control it. I just did a factory reset to delete the old account on it and now it is stuck on the remote pairing page. 

I do have a roku TV and I figured i could pair that remote to this stick and once im passed the pairing page I would be able to use my phone again for it... Well that didn't work. My remote for the TV doesn't have a pairing button and even when I try to just point at the stick and use normally per the "troubleshooting" that doesnt work either. 

Is there anything I can do to get passed this without buying a new remote? If I need a new remote I think I mind as well buy a whole new stick. Can i use a universal remote? I do have one of thise programed to a 2nd roku TV i have? 

Please help me 😭😭😭

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote pairing for 36500R/X

Sorry but no. Any Roku stick won't accept IR remotes, ones without a pairing button. 

And in the case of the 3500 stick, current wifi remotes, ones with pairing buttons are useless on the old 3500 sticks. And they don't sell remotes that pair with 3500 sticks, haven't for years. 

You can go used, buy Roku 3 remotes off of ebay, like RC03, RC07, RC08, or RC19. Each have headphone jacks on them but won't work with 3500 stick, but the rest of the keys will once paired. Even the volume keys will work if your tv has cec feature. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote pairing for 36500R/X

@TeamJK0816-

Without a remote about the only option open to you, other than buying a current non-obsolete Roku model that comes with its own remote, is this:

You will need all of these: 

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a compatible remote to set the Roku network connection up. 

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use. 

-- Access to your current router's control panel. If you don't have this access, scroll down to the third method. 

-- A phone or other mobile device with the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) installed. 

If you have ALL of the above:  Go into your router's control panel and set your new network to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network.  Pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When it boots up it should connect to your reconfigured net. 

Now when you connect your phone to this same net you should be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku once again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos