Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bojarrett

Remote only works next to sensor

I just bought a Roku Express 4K, 3940CA. Hooked it up following the directions. The supplied remote will only work when it it about 5-6 inches from the sensor on the device. I have the Express mounted to the bottom of the TV, which is wall mounted. There are no obstructions. I tried new batteries. I tried moving the sensor. I tried removing the batteries, disconnecting the devices power for 30s, rebooting to the home screen and re inserting the batteries. If I try using the remote via the the Android app on my phone the device functions properly, yes I am aware that that is via wifi. The remote has no pairing buttons. 

Any suggestions?

Roku Express (3900 series)  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote only works next to sensor

Hi  @Bojarrett

Thanks for keeping in touch!

It sounds like you have already tried some basic troubleshooting steps to fix the issue with your Roku Express 4K remote. Here are a few more things you can try:

• Check the batteries: Make sure that the batteries are fresh and inserted correctly. Sometimes, if the batteries are weak or not inserted properly, the remote may not work properly.
  • Try resetting the remote: To reset the remote, remove the batteries, press and hold down the pairing button located in the battery compartment for 5 seconds, and then release the button. Reinsert the batteries and see if the remote works properly.
  • Move the Roku Express: Sometimes, the location of the Roku Express device can affect the performance of the remote. Try moving the device to a different location, away from other electronics and potential sources of interference.
  • Try a different remote: If you have a different Roku remote that is compatible with your device, try using it to see if the issue is with the remote itself.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote only works next to sensor

@RokuLianna wrote:

Hi  @Bojarrett

<snip>

• Try resetting the remote: To reset the remote, remove the batteries, press and hold down the pairing button located in the battery compartment for 5 seconds, and then release the button. Reinsert the batteries and see if the remote works properly.

<snip>

Warm Regards,
Lianna

Per Roku's product comparison page, the Express 4K comes with the Roku Simple remote.  This is an infrared remote that has no provisions for pairing, and thus no pairing button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos