Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote not working stuck on home screen

Jump to solution

Hi @rimasidibe,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku remote. There is a possibility that if the remote is not controlling your Roku device, it might not be paired. Can you please put your Roku device into pairing mode and try to pair your Roku remote with it? Please check out this support article here on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JCorbin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This worked for me, but I had to change the batteries twice (I guess the first ones I put in were bad), AND I finally figured out that the Pairing button on my Remote is a tiny button inside the compartment where the batteries fit.  Trial and Error and reading ALL the support articles wins in the end!

0 Kudos
ScottR2

Jump to solution

We have been having this same issue with remote not working. Have done all your solutions, new batteries, unplugging and restarting, switched power source to wall outlet. These all work for a while, a day or two then it will do it all over again. Been battling this for weeks.  Getting frustrated with every couple days unplugging and let it sit for a bit then restarting and be okay for another day or two. Could this be the device going bad???

0 Kudos
JCorbin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ScottR2: The problem has not recurred for us since we figured out the "Pairing" button on our remote. Sounds to me like it could be the device, but I think Roku Support needs to weigh in. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @ScottR2 

We are glad to have you here in the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you've shared here with us regarding the Roku remote not being able to respond to your Roku device, and we'd be pleased to assist. Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue regarding your remote.

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Put your streaming device in pairing mode:

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Press and hold the pairing button on your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

Please keep us posted on how this works.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My remote won't pair and after bouncing Roku I don't get Home Screen.  It immediately goes to black screen with HDMI box at top left and No Signal box in center.

I have tried to follow pairing instructions into no avail.

0 Kudos
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, I am having similar issue with remote only controlling TV but after rebooting little Roku box (Express?), "Roku" bounces around for quite a while then goes away... no Home Screen.

I've tried removing batteries, unplugging everything, then after reconnecting, reinstalling batteries, pressing remote pairing button while Roku is on screen etc.  It does nothing... bouncing Roku just goes away after some time.

Tried replacing batteries, etc.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@IslandGirl242, if your Roku device doesn't boot all the way to the Home Screen, it has nothing to do with your remote.  If you're using the TV's USB port to power it, try using the supplied USB power adapter if your model came with one.  If it didn't, try a USB power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet plugged into the wall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mrm3

Jump to solution

Yay! It worked. Thank You!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.