Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superjonboy
Reel Rookie

Remote not working out of the box

Opened a brand new Roku Express box, plugged everything in, get the prompt to pair the remote. But pressing the button on the remote does nothing, the status light does not come on at all. Tried different batteries, as well as resetting everything. Is the remote just dead? How do i get a replacement? THe customer service here is not great on that issue.

Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote not working out of the box

Check that your batteries are inserted in the correct orientation.  In some remotes the batteries point the same way, in others they point in opposite directions.

And it can't hurt to try another set of batteries in case the supplied ones are no good.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Superjonboy
Reel Rookie

Yep, tried that, tried doing it the both in same direction, opposite directions, tried three different sets of batteries. Tested the batteries were good in a different remote, still nothing.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Superjonboy  You probably have a defective remote.  I’d suggest buying one of those replacement physical remotes.  It could also be a defective Roku device.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Superjonboy, if you just got it take it back to where you purchased it.  If you purchased it from Roku start at:

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.