Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote must be less than 6 inches from tv to work. Suggestions???

The LG remote will only control the TV, and the Roku remote will only control the Roku. They are not interchangeable. If your Roku remote has a volume control (I don't think the IR remotes do), then it would only control the TV's volume using HDMI control, or CEC as it is generically labeled. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

So is it normal to need to have the Roku remote right infront of the TV to change the channel?? If so, it is a useless item.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Not at all. I'm sitting at least 8 feet away from my TV and Ultra. But it uses the WiFi Direct remote, so there's no problem with it being inside my equipment cabinet. My AVR remote is IR only, and I have to aim it just right to hit it inside the cabinet, otherwise it won't work. But even through the glass door I can control it at 8+ feet away. A standard IR remote should work just fine for 10-15 feet, assuming there's nothing interfering with the infrared light coming from the remote. If there's bright sunlight in the room, it can interfere with the IR light. As I said, IR remotes require a clear line of sight between the remote and the receiver. 

You can test your IR remote by looking at the emitter end (the end you point at the Roku, which is the top of the remote) through a digital camera (such as a phone camera). While looking through the camera, press different buttons on the remote. You should see a blinking light coming from the end of the remote. If you don't see a light, or it's extremely faint, either the batteries are bad or there's something wrong with the remote. IR remotes are really simple, so if it's misbehaving it's likely not working correctly. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

Thank you! I do not see a light. I did change the batteries twice.   I guess I’m bringing it back tomorrow! Thank you again!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@PattyS wrote:

Thank you! I do not see a light. I did change the batteries twice.  

Be sure your have the batteries inserted in the correct orientation.  Some require them to be inserted in the same direction, others in opposite directions.  There should be a diagram showing correct orientation molded into the battery compartment.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

Thank you for all of the help! I did try a new Roku and it works perfectly. I guess the original Roku was defective and I will return it.   

0 Kudos