Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve222
Reel Rookie

Remote freezes up at least once a day

About once a day my remote will freeze up and won't allow me to change channels, stop what I'm currently watching, adjust the volume, etc.  Unplugging everything and removing the batteries from my remote and waiting for a few minutes will fix the problem, but doing this is getting old.  Is there a fix?

14 REPLIES 14
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote freezes up at least once a day

Hi @Steve222,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand how important it is to have a working remote when using our Roku device. No worries! We're happy to help. Please check out this support article here on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Steve222
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote freezes up at least once a day

Thank you, John, for providing me with the support article. I'll try the things the article suggests and see if they fix the problem. Fingers crossed!

Steve222

0 Kudos
Unhappy4
Reel Rookie

Remote freezes over 10 times a day.

The remote for my Roku Ultra is total garbage. At least 10 times a day it freezes and I have to remove the batteries to fix it. A have tried all solutions and nothing fixes it. Also, very often, the buttons perform a function other than what it is supposed to. Total garbage!!!

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote freezes over 10 times a day.

Hi @Unhappy4,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We regret to hear about these remote woes. We'd like to know how we can help. Could you tell us if this is the remote that came along with the device? And how long have you been experiencing this issue?

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Unhappy4
Reel Rookie

Yes, it is the original remote. This had been going on since purchased.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Unhappy4,

Thanks for your quick reply!

We're glad to assist you with your Roku remote. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Meanwhile, please try to restart your system by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). You can also try unplugging the Roku Ultra from the wall outlet and plugging it back in after a minute.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Unhappy4
Reel Rookie

As I said in my initial post, I have tried all solutions but nothing works.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Unhappy4,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Could you send us a private message here in the Roku Community since we will be needing more details?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JustSayin
Streaming Star

It's not just you.

I have 2 Roku Express devices, both with their original remotes. I bought them both around the same time, but not at the same time. One of them has no problems. The other one suddenly started having this frozen remote issue within the last couple weeks. Mine are both simple remotes; I don't have and don't want a voice-activated remote.

I've checked the batteries with a battery tester (they had tons of life left) and later I replaced them anyway. No good. I don't like unplugging it, so what I do is use the Roku remote app on my Kindle Fire when the remote freezes so I can do a System Restart. Then the real remote works fine again. For awhile. Until the Roku stops responding to it for no reason (again and again). Just the one device & remote, my other set has no problems (so far anyway).

I agree, it's maddening!

You're right, their suggested fixes do nothing useful. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.