Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

Remote does not turn Roku device on

I have reviewed multiple posts somewhat similar to my issue, however, not exactly the same.

Roku remote does not turn power on Roku device. It has been paired, multiple times. It will turn the TV on, volume functions fine, along with all other features. This remote has the voice commands feature as well.

I forgot to mention that the remote will the turn the device and TV off. 

I have the Express 4K+

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote does not turn Roku device on

@MWheeler76 

The Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ doesn't power off, so it can't be powered on. It's always on.

The power button on the Roku remote is not for the Roku device. It's for the TV. Again, it doesn't power the Roku on and off. Roku devices don't have on/off switches (one did years ago, but that's long discontinued).

If you've paired the remote to the Stick, you don't need to pair it again. If it controls the Roku menu, it's paired and you don't need to go through that again. For it to control the TV, one of two things must happen.

1. If the TV and Roku successfully communicate via CEC (that's all automatic and either will work or won't), the Roku will try to send the power and volume commands to the TV.
  2. You can manually configure the remote to control the TV via the Roku menu system.

If the first didn't happen, try the second.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If you don't see anything from the Roku, try pressing the Home button.  Does that get you anything?

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@MWheeler76-

My guess is your problem is caused by a change introduced by Roku operating system version 10.5.  It added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. 

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating any power saving options you find there keeps the Roku from shutting down when it's been inactive for a while.

The Roku doesn't really shut down, it just goes into a low power standby mode.  Pressing one of the Roku control keys on the Roku remote should bring it back to full power mode without having to unplug the unit.  Note that the on/off, volume, and mute keys just control the tv, not the Roku, so they won't bring the Roku back from standby.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

@DB The remote does fine controlling the TV. Thank you for the advice though. I didn't realize that the device didn't power off. 

0 Kudos
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

@Strega No, pressing the home button did nothing.

No buttons respond, to bring it out of the low power save mode, as I was informed by another post.

Still not seeing a blue light, like when streaming. Thank you though. 

0 Kudos
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

@makaiguy If any button should bring the device back from the low power standby mode, then shouldn't the power button work as well, when turning the TV on?

I am now using the Roku device solely when streaming. The device is selected for auto-shutdown, after no prolonged activity. I will deactivate that today.

Hopefully that will allow it to respond to any button, when wanting to use it again. Thank you for the post.

0 Kudos
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

@Strega I did try that option again, after the TV, itself, was turned on, and infact, that did work.

However, if the TV is off, for some reason, that does not do it. I wouldn't think that the TV would have anything to do with reactivaing the Roku device. 

0 Kudos
MWheeler76
Channel Surfer

@Strega Well, for some crazy reason, after experiencing what I just posted prior to this one, the power button will now, not only turn the TV on (as it has done fine since pairing), but now brings the device out of low power standby mode, displaying the blue light. 

As I said before, when the TV was off, the power button would only turn the TV on, but not reactivate the device; out of standby mode. I previously was needing to unplug the power for it to reactivate, displaying the blue light.

RECAP:  So for anyone experiencing this EXACT SAME situation, follow this procedure(once paired):

AFTER turning the TV on, press the home button on the Roku remote. Hopefully then, the blue light will appear and the home screen will be displayed. Test this by pressing the power button once, and the TV should turn off, as well as the blue light on the Roku device.

Then, test it again, by pressing the power button(on the Roku remote) once. This SHOULD reactivate the Roku device(displaying the blue light) AND turn the TV on, all with one action, as it should. 

** If later, this does not do the trick, with only pressing the Roku power button, one may need to press the home button each time (after the TV is on) to bring the device back up, displaying the home screen **

So something happened for the better anyway! No more needing to unplug the Roku device in order to reactivate it!!! Regardless, thank you, for the advice! 

0 Kudos
ebertsj
Reel Rookie

Had the same issue, and indeed, pressing the "Home" button on the Roku solved this for me, that is, first powered on TV and Satellite, THEN hit the home button, and voila - TV screen opened up Roku, and blue light on Roku device came on. 

Roku could make this a LOT clearer in set-up guide or on-line setup process...that is, "cool, now you've paired your Roku remote with your TV, just press the home button to "turn on" (for lack of a better word...the advice of "it is always on" is great, BUT when likely ALL of us think we need to see the blue light on, misleading...

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.