Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Remote battery warning pop up

So in this new big update is Roku going to finally include the useful option to COMPLETELY DISABLE the annoying malfunctioning battery warning pop ups from the remotes? Or did Roku just add a bunch of useless features that most people don't care about?

I've been requesting this option for years because of how annoying the pop ups are and Roku has completely ignored this problem. I am wondering what it will finally take for something like this to be fixed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Remote battery warning pop up

@Emissary35 wrote:

So in this new big update is Roku going to finally include the useful option to COMPLETELY DISABLE the annoying malfunctioning battery warning pop ups from the remotes? Or did Roku just add a bunch of useless features that most people don't care about?

I've been requesting this option for years because of how annoying the pop ups are and Roku has completely ignored this problem. I am wondering what it will finally take for something like this to be fixed.

HI @Emissary35 ! That definitely sounds like a bug. Have you noticed this with multiple Roku remotes or is it just one in your possession that's acting up? Is this a Voice Remote (or Voice Remote Pro)? Would you mind getting some information for us and we'll take a peek under the hood and see if we can help:

- Roku device ID this dialog is displaying on (found under > Home > Setting > System > About)

- Tracker ID next time you see the dialog (on your remote press Home button 5x, then Back button 5x) and let us know the Tracker ID. This places a bookmark allowing our teams to investigate better.

Thanks for letting us know you're experiencing this issue, and if you had let us know in the past and didn't get traction, my apologies and we hope to help. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I can't believe you just asked that, do you people not pay any attention to these forums? There are topics going back literally YEARS complaining about the battery pop ups malfunctioning! It's happened on multiple Roku remotes I've had over the years, battery and rechargeable ones as well as for other people.

I've given all the information you have requested more than once, so have other people and nothing has changed. Go look through my posts and others on here under the Remotes category and you'll see how wide an issue this is. It's absolutely a malfunction in the remote software.

I get the battery level pop ups sometimes when I haven't even touched the remote in 30 to 60 minutes telling me my batteries are FULL! Completely taking me out of my movie experience! This notification is ridiculous and it needs to either be removed from the software or a setting created so that users can turn it off so we never have to see it.

All other devices have settings to disable notifications because they annoy a lot of people, why does this not have one? I can figure out when to change my batteries when button presses no longer work!

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Emissary35 wrote:

I can't believe you just asked that, do you people not pay any attention to these forums? There are topics going back literally YEARS complaining about the battery pop ups malfunctioning! It's happened on multiple Roku remotes I've had over the years, battery and rechargeable ones as well as for other people.

I've given all the information you have requested more than once, so have other people and nothing has changed. Go look through my posts and others on here under the Remotes category and you'll see how wide an issue this is. It's absolutely a malfunction in the remote software.

I get the battery level pop ups sometimes when I haven't even touched the remote in 30 to 60 minutes telling me my batteries are FULL! Completely taking me out of my movie experience! This notification is ridiculous and it needs to either be removed from the software or a setting created so that users can turn it off so we never have to see it.

All other devices have settings to disable notifications because they annoy a lot of people, why does this not have one? I can figure out when to change my batteries when button presses no longer work!

We've fixed this bug a few times but don't have a lot of recent reports. We do also see the remote disconnecting and reconnected due to a crowded wireless environment.

But, try this. You can restart your remote, which might help.

If you have batteries in the back of the remote, it's just pulling the batteries, waiting a moment, and re-inserting them.

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and Home 

for 20 seconds.

Still not fixed? Happy to file a new ticket with our engineering team with your details, but the Tracker IDs expire over time so we'd need a fresh code. Let us know!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@RokuAustin 

"We've fixed this bug a few times but don't have a lot of recent reports."

You haven't fixed anything, this issue has been persistent for years. How do you 'fix a bug a few times'? You either fix it or your don't! If you have to do it more than once that means that you failed!

I've restarted my remotes before by pulling the batteries out, because these remotes are battery killers so I never leave the batteries in when I am not using my Roku. That does NOTHING to stop the malfunctioning pop ups!

So no this issue is still not fixed! And I did not fail to notice how you (just like every other time I mention this) completely IGNORED my suggestion of either removing the battery notifications from the software or giving us an option to COMPLETELY DISABLE them in the settings! Doing EITHER of those things would solve this 'bug' you apparently have no answers for!

Go report that to the genius Roku engineers who intentionally created this stupid pop up notification that me and many others NEVER want to see!

Remove it or make it optional! Then the problem would be solved! But I expect you guys will continue to do what you have been doing, nothing about this.

0 Kudos