Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
standarduser
Channel Surfer

Remote batters are unrecognized but works after just removing and inserting again same one.

I am facing weird issue with Roku remotes over couple of years, both express and streaming stick +. I tried to reach out to support but they are never reachable, so reaching out to community to community to see if anyone faced this ever.

Remote is with normal batteries (Have tried, Duracell, rayovac etc) they work fine, suddenly Roku remote stops working. So we I just open the remote, remove the batteries and insert the same ones again and it just works fine.... i test the batteries and they are almost full. All we need is to remove and put it back.

Anyone seen this weird behavior. I have seen on both express and streaming stick + remotes.

10 REPLIES 10
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote batters are unrecognized but works after just removing and inserting again same one.

Hi @standarduser,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

For us to proceed with the appropriate action to resolve this, could you please send us a private message with your current shipping address and phone number?
To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this community link: Help: Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote batters are unrecognized but works after just removing and inserting again same one.

@standarduser-

One possible cause could be that the remote's battery contacts have become dirty and only make intermittent contact with the batteries.

See if scraping the contacts clean with a small screwdriver make a difference.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
standarduser
Channel Surfer

I dont see any dirt there, but i also had thought the same and done it couple of times to ensure that, but it still happens. why would it happen across different remotes of different devices.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @standarduser,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with your Roku remote. Please check out this support article here.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
standarduser
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB,

That is what I typically do, remove the batteries and reinsert them. after reinserting it works and shows as full on the screen.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RokuJohnB,

Thank you for the update!

Can you please follow the instructions that we provided above to send us a private message here in the Roku Community?

We'll wait for your response.

Regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I've had a similar problem before too where buttons on the remote stop working or the remote won't respond at all. Taking out the batteries and putting them back in makes the remote work again, and no the battery contacts are not dirty and the remote is not old. I don't know why these Roku remotes malfunction so frequently for so many people, then there is always the issue of excessive battery drain as well. Roku needs to learn how to make a proper remote to go with their players because their current remote designs are very flawed.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Just a wild guess:  Removing the batteries would also reset/reboot a remote that might have crashed.  I would think that an IR remote would be so simple and well-understood that a crash would be extremely unlikely, but most Rokus use Wi-Fi remotes which are more complex.  Just like some remotes seem to go through batteries, other remotes might react to something unexpected in the RF environment by crashing/locking up.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
standarduser
Channel Surfer

Hi John,

I already did as you mentioned before but someone else replied and today I sent another direct message to you.

0 Kudos