Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michio42

Pair Roku express to remote

I have a Roku express thay I have ised, although not for several years. I have an old remote, a new remote and the app.

I believe the Roku was reset, and I can't get the box to pair to either remote. It's not connected to the WiFi so the app is out, and I can't use the remote to scroll to settings when the remote won't pair (which is what all the instructions I've found online say to do--wtf?! Or that it happens automatically, which it is not).

I'm stuck at the language selection screen. Now what? I've tried hitting the pair buttons on the remote. Batteries are charged. Line of sight is clear. They're like 3 feet away from each other.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pair Roku express to remote

If the express is 3700 or 3710 express + then it can't be paired to wifi voice remote, it only responds to IR remotes. You can locate the model number on the back of the express, it might be buried in the paragraph there. If it turns out to be one the two I listed, then a cheap universal remote would do, benefit of universal remote is it will control the tv volume as well as the Roku, unlike true Roku IR remotes. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.