Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizoovski
Reel Rookie

Roku remote not pairing, impossible to do anything.

Jump to solution

Hello everyone

I misplaced the original Roku remote of my Streaming Stick+ 2019 model (Sn: 213979930400) after a move and so far It's been impossible to pair a new one.
The first thing I did was try to use the Roku remote app for android which sadly didn't work since I'm at a new place with a different network and it can't see the device. 
I bit the bullet and figured I had to shell out the 20 dollars for a new remote. I contacted support to be sure I was getting a compatible one, they suggested the Voice Remote so I ordered it from Amazon.
Once it got here it wouldn't pair, I'd get the enhanced remote pairing screen, remote green light blinking, does a beep when it finishes, but can't control a thing on TV. I tried multiple fresh batteries (different brands), tried pairing several times, pressing the pair button for 10 seconds without batteries, unplugging the Roku multiple times up to factory resetting, I tried all this with 3 different TVs. It was then suggested by support I might need the HDMI extender cable so they'd send me one.
Once the extender got here I re tried everything above with no luck. I even drove to my old home and tried it under my old Wi-Fi (making sure I was using the 2.4GHz signal) with one of their TVs but nothing happened.
I contacted support again and they suggested that my remote could be faulty, so I drove off to Walmart and picked another voice remote. As you can imagine it didn't work either. As a last effort I even un linked the device from my account since it was keeping the Wi-Fi name of my old home on it, which was a bad idea I guess because support can't see my device anymore, even with serial number.
Is there anything else anybody can suggest to fix this before I toss it in the recycle bin? I'm at my wits' end with this issue.

Appreciate all the help
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote not pairing, impossible to do anything.

Jump to solution

You have multiple remotes that won't pair, it sounds like your long-rang receiver is bad. Roku has been out of stock for a while on replacement receivers. 

I would return the Voice remotes, add $10 and buy a new express which comes with remote, and no long-rang receiver to go bad. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

When you lost the original remote did you lose the original USB cable as well? The stick+ comes USB cable with bump in the middle, it's called the long-range wireless receiver, it is what remote communicates with, not the stick itself. No original USB cable no remote or internet. 

Edmund

Mizoovski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No, I just misplaced the remote, I have the stick and the long-range wireless receiver connected to it, I'm also using the HDMI extender as suggested.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You have multiple remotes that won't pair, it sounds like your long-rang receiver is bad. Roku has been out of stock for a while on replacement receivers. 

I would return the Voice remotes, add $10 and buy a new express which comes with remote, and no long-rang receiver to go bad. 

Edmund

Mizoovski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah, I think you're right about the long-range receiver being faulty, it's the part I suspected from the get go since it controls the Wi-Fi, but one of the representatives had told me it had nothing to do with my problem.
I will look into the roku express,
Thank you for all your help Tivoburkee.

0 Kudos