Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Roku remote still hooked up to tv control & not letting me set up new Roku remote

the brand of my television is ONN (not the ONN Roku tv) & I recently had a Roku streaming stick connected to it that was able to control the tv just fine..that streaming stick recently gave out on me (we’re guessing it burned out? We weren’t able to get anything to come up on the screen) so I bought a new Roku streaming stick 4K but now it is not letting me set it up for TV control..I tried the old Roku remote & it is still working to turn on/off & control the volume..would this be the reason I’m unable to pair my new Roku remote to control the tv? And how would I unpair it since nothing comes up on my screen when I plug in my old Roku streaming stick?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old Roku remote still hooked up to tv control & not letting me set up new Roku remote

The old remote is still controlling the old tv because it's programmed to control it by IR, it doesn't need the old stick. And the old remote isn't preventing your new Roku remote from controlling the tv. What is a bug that they hope to remedy with an update. In the mean time try hooking your new Stick 4k+ to a different internet source like hotspot on your cellphone, just during programming the remote, after you can go back to home internet. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old Roku remote still hooked up to tv control & not letting me set up new Roku remote

I don't think the old remote is causing your problems with the new remote.  There is nothing at the TV end that involves the remote at all, other than receiving the TV control infrared signals from the remote and it would work with ANY remote that is sending the right signals.

I have three point-anywhere remotes paired to my living room Streaming Stick 4K+ and there was no problem with getting all three to control the power/volume/mute controls on the tv.  My set is a Samsung but that shouldn't make any difference.

If your problem is that the new remote is not able to find your tv, or that it can't find anything when you try to do a tv brand search, many people have reported success when connecting to a different network, such as the wifi hotspot on a smart phone, and setting up the remote for the tv while connected to this other network.  Once the remote has been set up and working, you can connect back to your original network. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos