Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AaronA
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote stopped working after software update

Exact same issue on both my Roku 3s.  

I just used the Roku app to control one and do a factory reset. Once I did the remote paired and works, but now I'm stuck in the activation screen. The Roku says it "can't seem to reach" me at my email address and I never receive the email.  I had an email sent to me from my Roku phone app as a test and that came no problem, but the Roku 3 is still showing that error.

The QR code activation option just loads forever and locks up the device to until I pull the power plug.  My Roku phone app also recognizes the device as soon as I turn it on.  

This is even while using a wired internet connection and the original remote, sn 4E654E101568.

Very frustrating, and leaves the device absolutely useless as others have stated. 

0 Kudos
ChrisGunnell
Channel Surfer

that’s a bummer. Glad I held off on the factory reset. 
I’m stuck with the iPhone app and my 12 year old first Roku remote, but until they roll out an update it’ll do. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for flagging this to us, and we'd like to gather more details regarding this issue so it can be addressed. Kindly provide the following details.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on the Roku TV channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

In the meantime, we recommend using the Roku mobile app as the remote at the moment we're working on this issue. For more details about this, refer to this link: How to use the Roku® mobile app to control your Roku device

We look forward to hearing back your response.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Thegame80
Reel Rookie

Im having the same issue after the update.  I did every single troubleshooting option but no fix.  How can i roll back the update?  I have the first version of the roku premiere+.  Model 4630X.  Serial YR008D453447.  Device ID 7KA6A8453447.  Software version 12.5.0.  Build 4172-29.  The issue doesnt happen anywhere specific.  Issue is that after the update, the remote stopped working with the device.  It wont pair and I have already tried all the ways to pair it with no luck.  Tracker ID isnt possible or relevant for this particular issue.  Showing a clip or video wont show anything given what the issue is.  

Roku: Please respond and help with a fix!  Thank you

0 Kudos
Thegame80
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote stopped working after software update...There is a new update that fixes it!!!!

This is a follow up to the last message I just sent...to everyone that reads these posts for help on this issue, I just found out the fix for it.  There is a new update for the roku device that fixed my remote pairing right away.  Everything is back to normal and working for me.  Hopefully it is fixed for most other people.  I just wanted to share and make let everyone know about it.

rwoodcock3
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote stopped working after software update...There is a new update that fixes it!!!!

Per the last post, a new update was just released, which immediately fixes the problem with the remote.

Finally! Yay! 😀

0 Kudos
AaronA
Reel Rookie

I just tried the latest update on my second Roku 3, SN/ Device ID 63264P149345 after seeing the comment from Thegame80.  

After downloading update and restarting the Roku is coming up with an "Unable to Update" message, error 023.2.  My options are:

Try Again-which restarts and results in the same error.

Network settings-wired Ethernet connection works perfectly, connects to internet quickly.

Factory Reset-which I'm not going to try as this has disabled my other Roku 3 (see my previous post on this thread.

As for the troubleshooting, I can no longer access the Roku menu/settings on either device to look up build number, etc.  This has nothing to do with Roku TV.  I tried the requested pressing home and back 5 times on my phone as this Roku doesn't connect to the remote, it didn't seem to do anything. I am unsure how to attach photos/videos of the problem to this thread. 

Still waiting for a fix...

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

This information is much appreciated. We have forwarded this case to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

As a workaround, we would recommend using the Roku mobile app to navigate your devices. You can refer to our support page here: How to use the Roku® mobile app to control your Roku device without a remote. We'll make sure to update this thread once we have an update available.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DonVertz
Reel Rookie

did the latest update and it did not help, tv still does not respond to the remote after ten minutes of tv being turned off.  I can turn the tv on and while on, the tv responds perfectly to the remote (even after leaving the remote untouched for more than 20 minutes) but once the tv is turned off and the remote untouched for more than ten minutes, the tv will no longer turn on using the remote. the last update did not help. the roku software version is 12.5.0 build 4175-AN

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DonVertz,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for letting us know about your concern, and we would be more than glad to help. Have you tried unpairing and re-pairing your remote to see if you notice any improvements? Also, could you please provide us with your Roku Device ID, Model Number, and OS version?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.