Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterV

Re: Remote Volume Control Raise/Lower levels won't stop - keep going to max or 0

Adding my name to the list of users who are experiencing this issue. I contacted support and they tried sending me a new remote thinking it was a hardware related issue but its not and it did not solve the problem.
It seems to occur randomly/intermittently.

streaming stick+ model: 3810x

Remote model: rc-el1

software v11.5.0 build 4235-50

Thanks for your prompt attention to this critical issue.

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

Re: Remote Volume Control Raise/Lower levels won't stop - keep going to max or 0

I am able to reproduce the issue at will on several channels, Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, Roku | Media Player, YouTube, and Discovery+. I noticed on YouTube, I can only reproduce it on certain videos though.

I turned on Stats for Nerds but cannot tell what the commonality is for the videos in which the issue is reproducible.

0 Kudos

Re: [OS 11.5] Remote Volume Ctrl Up/Dn Repetitious Intermittent

I am also having this issue on all my devices. All remotes have new batteries.

I have restarted and reset all devices, and also set the remotes up after deleting them.

Roku streaming stick+ 3810x

11.5.0 build 4235-50

Remote RC399 firmware rtn.4186

Edit to add remote and some more details.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-R

I can easily reproduce the issue, but while the remote is increasing the TV volume, if I touch any button, the volume issue immediately ceases. How do we press the button sequence to get a ticket ID when pressing a button ceases the issue?

Does the ticket ID allow you guys to trace back to when the issue was actually occurring?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@donb

Thanks for the post.

If you can provide the Tracker ID when the issue occurs or shortly after, we can take a look to see if there is an issue you are experiencing detected.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

I have long since provide a tracker ID.  I can reproduce the issue with my eyes closed and provide infinite tracker IDs, but I do not know if you guys even detected the previous one I sent.  I had to use the phone app to get the tracker ID.  I caught the issue exactly when it was occurring. 

If I used the remote, it would immediately cease the issue.

I can only reproduce the issue right at the beginning of a video or right after using ffwd or rwd.  Otherwise, it won't reproduce.  It is tricky because if you adjust the volume twice, it will hide the issue.  I have to press once, then wait a bit. 

My TV has a front panel LED.  I can tell when it is about to occur because if I adjust the volume and the TV LED does not blink, I know what's coming next, blasting volume.  But if I adjust the volume, and the TV LED blinks, I then know it's not going to blast.

0 Kudos
richj11
Reel Rookie

I have 4 remotes and three of them have started exhibiting this behavior.  The problem is obviously that the volume button sticks in the UP or DOWN position until some other button is pushed.  I'd like to think a ROKU remote would last longer than a year or two.

0 Kudos
Kaz1
Channel Surfer

I don’t think it’s the remotes themselves, I think it’s related to the roku software. I also have multiple roku systems that this is happening with. They need to figure out a solution soon as this has been reported for weeks now. 

ghouston
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

Why do you keep asking for the same information users throughout this thread have already given you? Do you not understand the urgency of this issue? It is literally a destructive bug in your software following an update pushed out by Roku.

If your dev team can't see what created this issue by now, they should roll up a new update without whatever was in 11.5.0-4235. Or, a rollback to whatever was before 11.5.0-4235. Or, provide those with the issue an update version that predates 11.5.0-4235.

I've given you and your dev team 3 options that you can't seem to come up with on your own in the months this has been an issue. This is getting absurd. Those 3 options give your team more time to figure out what's going on without making users wait for their TV speakers to be blown out.

As previously mentioned, I work in software. There is no universe where a bug that is potentially destructive to user devices should be living in the wild for this long.