Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

Can you explain “aubergine in the upgrade created this problem”?  What is aubergine?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

@maledictis 

You see the word "under" in front of "control other devices(CEC)" in my post? So, I wasn't saying there no such item in the menu of "control other devices", just that there isn't an item as "System audio control" under "control other devices" 

No one has written "control other devices (CEC)" in posts more than I have on this website. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@SharkAndYeti 

There is a secret menu item you can switch the remote from controlling tv's to Audio devices like receiver and soundbars. We are not allowed to post the steps, but you might find it in a forum search. You might have done it yourself previously? 

I PM-ed you the steps a week ago. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
maledictis
Channel Surfer

I looked at the menu you're talking about on my device. The menu navigation can differ slightly depending on the device model and firmware version

And have a nice day.

0 Kudos
crazywater
Reel Rookie

My Roku remote was also controlling the volume on my Denon AVR X2100H until today when my Roku updated to 11.5.  It must be something to do with the update.  I was able to fix it by turning on CEC on my SAMSUNG TV and turning off the TV Audio Switching which was annoying.  Unfortunately the TV Anynet graphic overlays the Denon volume graphic making it hard to see the volume level but I can deal with that.  Hopefully Roku fixes this bug they’ve introduced. 

SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

You may be right.  I don’t have a cec setting to change on my Epson projector so I may be out of luck unless Roku fixes this bug.  

0 Kudos
RedneckBillyBob
Reel Rookie

I went through all of my ROKU settings and when in the other devices, it told me "cannot control Denon X2300 with this remote". So that settles the topic for me.

0 Kudos
maledictis
Channel Surfer

Look, CEC is a terrible control protocol. As evidenced by the numerous posts in this thread, it's hit-or-miss. Probably more miss than hit.

Luckily, there are better, emerging ways to control IoT devices. Specifically for ROKU, they are members of the Connectivity Standards Alliance and the Matter Working Group. They understand that more robust and comprehensive, standards-based hardware and protocols are the way of the present, not just of the future. That said, they're being (understandably) cautiously optimistic while things like Matter are in flux. The first Matter standard finally got published about 2 weeks ago; the CSA workgroup made their public announcement about the project 3 years ago.

ROKU has hitched its IoT wagon to Wyze, which is not a bad thing. But neither Wyze nor ROKU are Matter compatible currently and no over-the-air firmware update will make them so. ROKU will either have to add compatible chips to their new products and/or offer a bridge device, the latter being the less attractive option, IMO. You'll likely need to buy a new ROKU box at some point.

0 Kudos
SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

Hi Maledictis, I think you're missing the point.  Most people on this thread are reporting that until very recently the remote worked great as volume control for their Denon receiver, even with a projector with no CEC controls.  So it worked great, then suddenly didn't any more.   Whether or not CEC is a good control protocol really isn't pertinent to our query as to how and why volume control recently stopped working.   That's why we've ended up here at this community forum.   Unless I'm mistaken, you've made zero suggestions on why it's recently stopped working or how to get it working again, only that it either never worked, probably won't work, or that we should just wait and buy a new Roku in the future.   I don't think you've suggested that the latest Roku update broke our volume control, but that seems to be the growing consensus.  

maledictis
Channel Surfer

Oh I get the point, @SharkAndYeti . That CEC is a fragile protocol, highly dependent on how each hardware manufacturer, on either end of the cable, implements it, how subject it is to inadvertent disruption with firmware updates, the quality of the HDMI cable used, etc. is exactly my point and what I believe you're trying to express as your frustration in this conversation.

New standards like Matter and Thread, Wyze, Zigbee, etc. are purpose designed for device control and integration. CEC is a bolt-on to the original HDMI standard. It's a nice-to-have/might-as-well feature rather than something that was purpose-built and ratified by a consortium of device manufacturers that have a vested interest to ensure that their hardware conforms so that they can continue to be relevant to automation integrators (installers) and other IoT device manufacturers, many of whom are their direct competitors.

Consumers and installers will pay very close attention to the certification logos on the device boxes and pass over gear that doesn't receive passing scores. In my world I'm already seeing new device selection being put on hold until Matter/Thread compliant gear in that category becomes available, even if there's a premium to be paid to have that.