Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

[OS 11.5] Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

My Roku ultra remote was controlling my Denon receivier volume great for the last couple of years.  I also have a projector.  Roku hdmi to Denon, Denon hdmi to projector.  I don’t remember how I set for the volume buttons on the remote to control the Denon.  I recently  had to replace the batteries in the roku remote, and as soon as I did,  the volume up/down control stopped working.  Hoping someone can explain how to get it working again.  

64 REPLIES 64
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

Roku remotes can only control tv's, it's up to the tv to control the audio device via hdmi-cec. So, refresh the cec devices in your tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

I don’t understand how that is true when my roku remote was controlling my Denon’s audio levels and mute  just a few weeks ago before I changed batteries on the remote.    Did Roku disable this feature for some reason?  I don’t have a tv, I have a projector.  

0 Kudos
maledictis
Channel Surfer

Yes, you can do this. I have a similar setup to yours and it works well.

In your AVR, go to Settings->HDMI setup->HDMI control (this is the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) setting) and make sure it's set to ON.

In your ROKU, go to Home->Settings->System. Scroll to "Control other devices (CEC)" and tick the boxes to enable both "System audio control" and "1-Touch play."

Rarely, a cheaper, non-certified HDMI cable will not meet the requirements for CEC, so if the steps above don't allow you to control volume and mute on the AVR with your ROKU remote, try swapping out the HDMI cable with a newer, certified cable.

Also (two big "IFs" here) IF your AVR has an HDMI eARC IN port, and IF your ROKU model supports eARC, you'll want to use a cable that's labeled "ULTRA high speed" or "HDI with Ethernet" or "HDMI 2.1." as eARC has the most stringent requirements. If you use an incompatible cable, it will "work" since the eARC standard provides for fallback to the lower bandwidth protocol, ARC (Audio Return Channel), but you'll be missing out on the additional eARC sound features (Atmos, uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1).

If your AVR has only an ARC port, your current HDMI cable will probably work fine. If the control stuff still doesn't work, it's worth trying another cable as I said above. Way too often I've seen a bargain cable  completely hose an otherwise high-end set of gear.

Note that both ARC and eARC obviate the need to use a separate coaxial (copper) or TOSLINK (optical) sound cable. If you're using ARC or eARC, don't also use a sound cable. Let ARC/eARC do its job with your AVR.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@maledictis 

There is no such option under "Control other devices (CEC)" in ANY Roku device. So, you call people names and give useless advice, nice first post. 😞 Click on my forum name look at my profile and see the number of credited solutions I have over last three years. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sm64
Channel Surfer

Funny you should say that I have a dennon 4700h and it stopped working recently. I could turn on my projector and reciever and control volume and mute then suddenly the volume, mute and turning off no longer work I did not even change the batteries. Went thru reciever and remote looking for changes nothing. Changed the remote batteries, power cycled everything no joy I noticed a software upgrade to my roku 9/28/22 I have to believe that is when it stopped working as I don't use the system everyday. Maybe something changed I don't recall seeing the note before that the roku remote cannot be used to control power of A/V receivers before in remote setup. The question is why not. I am actually considering switching to a diffrent setup as using multiple remotes is not great.

Gwtaylor
Reel Rookie

Mine worked perfectly until I updated it on 10/1]/2022.  I have to believe aubergine in the upgrade created this problem. 

maledictis
Channel Surfer

Here's that Control other devices setting that never existed on any ROKU device at any time.

https://i0.wp.com/www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Roku-1-1.png?w=1106&ssl=1 

This setting continues to allow me to control the volume and mute on my Denon AVR using the Roku remote, including after the most recent update.

SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

Your explanation was very clear but I have one missing setting on my Roku:   Under “Control other devices”, there is no option to select “system audio control”, only “1-touch play.”  I feel like this setting USED to be here, but now it isn’t.   I can’t prove it though.  :). Did this option go away after a recent Roku software update?  I updated on 10/6 but that was after I noticed this issue.  I’ll try swapping out hdmi cables and resetting power on everything.  Anyway my Denon HDMI seems to be set up properly.   Not positive about eARC compatibility on my Denon AVR s750h, and I have a Roku ultra.

0 Kudos
SharkAndYeti
Binge Watcher

Missing that option.Missing that option.

Denon hdmi settingsDenon hdmi settings

0 Kudos