Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

My power button and volume control isn't working

Jump to solution

My volume control nor my power button will not work. I've tried all the set up, and nothing seems to help. Of course, an agent can't help me because they "don't support" my device, but they don't mind selling it! Is anyone else having these issues??? It's not the batteries either, mine is at 90%.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My power button and volume control isn't working

Jump to solution

@Bamamimi3

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What brand TV are you using? Have you already tried re-pairing the remote to your TV? If so, which code/option did you use to pair your remote?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bamamimi3

Thanks for the follow up.

Perhaps @Tivoburkee can provide some insight regarding the issue you are experiencing as he's our resident Community remote Expert.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

cbmarion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I spent about an hour chatting with customer support yesterday.  The last thing the tech had me try was resetting the remote.  This required holding in the tiny button on the backside of the remote for about 30 seconds, followed by re-pairing to the Ultra and TV.  It’s been over 24 hours now and so far it’s working fine, never failing to control volume and power on my TV.  I wish they had led off with that. 

22 REPLIES 22
mbogo375
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's not an uncommon problem.

Did it ever work for you? Mine did at first but stopped after the 11.5 update.

A month after providing all the requested info, no response or solutions from Roku support.

Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, it worked just fine, until about a few days ago. I guess the new "update" messed our remotes up. Thank you for replying. Hopefully, we'll get a solution. The reconnect your remote doesn't work either. I tried 2 to 4 times. I even tried again today. None of the solutions I've read about has helped. I think we need a new update.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bamamimi3

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What brand TV are you using? Have you already tried re-pairing the remote to your TV? If so, which code/option did you use to pair your remote?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny, thank you for reaching out. The information that I can supply, is the information I read by pushing the button 5 times, then the other button.

The information is 

3931RW-roku express

Number X00400YSCS9K (S012205SCS9K)

ID to report issue 9K-497-082

The issue I'm having, is the power button will not turn on or off my TV. The volume button will not turn up or down the volume. The home button is working perfectly. I'm able to navigate to any TV channel or go home, to choose a different program. It's ONLY the power and volume button that will not work. I've changed my batteries, although they we at 90%, I've unplugged both devices (my roku and TV). I've tried going to setting, remote, set up, and with all 10 setups, I still hear the music. I have a Vizio TV. IF you need anymore information, please feel free to email me. I have spectrum, and instead of renting their boxes, we decided to do with Roku, serviceman recommended. I was thrilled when we purchased these Roku's, because they are so versatile. Also, I've tried to use the voice command to turn up the volume, it says thinking, but the volume doesn't change. Thank you again Danny. I've read all the past recommendations, and none of the has worked. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bamamimi3

Thanks for the follow up.

Perhaps @Tivoburkee can provide some insight regarding the issue you are experiencing as he's our resident Community remote Expert.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
cbmarion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have two Ultras with the Voice Remote Pros.  After receiving the 11.5 update, one of the remotes started having the problem controlling TV power and volume.  I swapped the remotes/Ultras/TV's around, and the problem follows just one of the remotes, the other is fine.  My TV's are both LG, one about 8 years old and one about 2 years old.  A weird thing I noticed is that when the problem occurs, if I use my LG TV remote to change the volume, then the functions start working again (for a little while) on the Roku remote.  The other trick I found when the problem occurs, is that if I press firmly in the middle of the volume switch, right in between volume up/down, it starts working again.  I've tried turning CEC off on the TV but that didn't change anything.  Really hoping Roku will send me a replacement remote (less than 6 months old) or issue an update that fixes it.

Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you Danny! I sure hope so. Thanks for tagging him for me. I've tried several things, and no solution YET! I still have hope 😆 

0 Kudos
Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, it worked perfectly before the update. 

0 Kudos
cbmarion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I spent about an hour chatting with customer support yesterday.  The last thing the tech had me try was resetting the remote.  This required holding in the tiny button on the backside of the remote for about 30 seconds, followed by re-pairing to the Ultra and TV.  It’s been over 24 hours now and so far it’s working fine, never failing to control volume and power on my TV.  I wish they had led off with that.