Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken465
Reel Rookie

My Simple Remote has stopped working

My Simple Remote has stopped working. Or rather no longer works from any distance greater than 3" from the streaming device. The device itself works fine and will respond to the app. on my phone. I have followed all the suggested fixes, batteries are brand new, but the device will not respond to the remote unless the remote is immediately in front of it.  ( 3" max.)

Bought in Sept.22

Remote Model RC-ALIR

Device Model 3930X

I'm stumped.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Simple Remote has stopped working

Hi @Ken465,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're so sorry to hear about the experience with your Roku remote not responding and we'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support

If the steps provided by the Support page still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.
Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The basic remote really is basic. It is IR (infrared) only, and requires a direct line of sight to use. You mention it will work if the remote is directly in front of the Roku. Is there any direct sunlight hitting the Roku? That can interfere with the IR signal. Also, not every Roku remote has the batteries oriented the same way. Some are inserted in the same direction, while others face the alternate direction. Make sure you haven't inserted the batteries incorrectly.

You can test the IR remote by looking at it through a digital camera, such as a cell phone camera. When you press any remote button, you should see a flashing light through the camera viewer. If you don't see the flashing light, and you're certain the batteries are in correctly, then the remote has likely failed. It isn't common for them to fail, but as with any electronic device it's always possible.

If it has failed, you have a couple of options. You can get a new Roku remote from almost any store that sells Roku products, such as Best Buy. I don't know for certain if your Roku Express supports using a WiFi Direct remote (that would be the voice remote) but I don't think it does. Another option would be an inexpensive universal IR remote which can be found almost anywhere electronic devices are sold. I've seen them for less than $10 in many stores. Just make sure the packaging shows it supports Roku players.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Ken465
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply atc98092.

No bright lights interfering, nor any flashing light when viewed through my cell phone camera.

I think I have a problem.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Ken465

Thanks for the post.

If you are still experiencing an issue, please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team to assist you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Ken465
Reel Rookie

Not sure if I am supposed to reply here, or to the email I received, but since my reply to Mary seemed to vanish I'm going to reply in both.

Copy of my email/ reply:.....Revised!

Hi Karla.
I thought I answered Mary already, but I guess it disappeared into the cloud somewhere.
Anyway I told Mary that I had already tried all the suggestions on the page she linked to and nothing helped.

Roku Device Model # 3930X ( from the bottom of the device)
S/N S01451DF48IT ( Revised S/N ( misread it in the original email )

Also not the S/N listed on this site {X00400RF481T} ??

Remote Model # RC-ALIR
S/N 3226000999

I also tried the suggestion of another member of the Community and viewed the Remote through the camera on my cell phone while pressing a button, and I did not see any flashing lights.

Don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else I can help with.
Ken

Hope this goes through.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi @Ken465

Thanks for your post.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos