Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carl00

Is there a remote for roku & cable?

I am trying to buy a new tv for my VERY technologically impaired grandmother. She loves cable and does not want to learn how to operate a digital cable option. She dos want to use hulu and amazon to watch the same shows her friends are watching too.

She hates the two remote system I proposed of 1 remote for streaming and 1 for cable. Does anyone know of a remote that can work a roku tv and a cable box?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a remote for roku & cable?

If this is a Roku tv, you can buy aftermarket universal remotes that will control both Roku tv's and cable boxes. Check out the Insignia line of universal remotes from Best Buy, they come in 3, 5, and 8-device models. With these remotes you could map the hulu and amazon keys under the cable box device. Press them will send the Roku tv to those channels, but your mom would still have to press the TV device to navigate in the channels. 

The Roku tv remote code is 4398. The cable box would be under STB device. The Hulu code is 00131, amazon 00156. To map them in the cable box device:

1. tv device

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SETUP for one blink

5. enter 0 0 1 3 1

6. press STB device key

7. pick unused key, like the green button for HULU. 

Repeat but use code 00156 code in step 5, and pick a different color button like blue for amazon in step 7. 

The 5-in-1 is on sale:

Insignia™ 5-Device Backlit Universal Remote Black NS-RMT5D21 - Best Buy

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a remote for roku & cable?

And if you want to get back to the cable device, you could map the discrete hdmi command that the cable box is connected to in the cable box device next to the Hulu & Amazon keys. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos