Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff41

Is a Roku remote required in order to view?

I have never had a Roku remote and the system worked well. I could change channels, etc easily. Now after having to re-start it all, the remote does not work. I am told to reset my Roku remote. My question is - can I use a non-Roku remote and if so, how do I set it up? And I wonder .... how did I get by without a Roku remote if one is required?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Is a Roku remote required in order to view?

That’s a little confusing as you say you never had a remote and then “the remote does not work”.

I’m going to guess that at one time, you set your roku up (with the remote that came with it), then lost it, then started using your phone.  Then you factory reset your Roku, which removes all information from it, including any knowledge of your Wi-Fi network.  So, before your phone will work as a remote, you need to get the Roku connected to the Wi-Fi again.  That requires an actual remote, not a phone.

Whether you can use a non-Roku remote is going to depend on the model.  In general, most third-party remotes are IR-only.  “Box-style” Rokus can work with IR or RF remotes.  Roku “stick” models only work with RF remotes.  (That is to say: Stick models generally require a Roku-brand voice remote.) In the past, Roku has made a few models with odd-ball remotes but chances are you don’t have one of those.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.