Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HermSmith
Reel Rookie

Re: Volume & Mute work sometimes

Jump to solution

Yes, the tv remote works just fine. As a matter of fact if I repair the original, battery operated remote, it too works just fine. It is only when I pair the rechargeable remote to the roku that I have this problem.

Sometimes it will work for a minute or two but then stops working. Let it sit or change channels or turn it off and back on and then it will work again for a short time. It is just inconsistent at best. I can press the button to increase/decrease the volume and it will go up/down one or two settings and just stop working.

As crazy at it may seem I thought perhaps the remote was getting too cool so I tried carrying it in my pocket to warm it. That didn't work either.

I'm at a point where I will just have to go back to the battery operated remote and chalk up the $$$ loss to experience. It just isn't worth the frustration. I should have left well enough alone instead of trying to save a dollar or two. Haste makes waste.

0 Kudos
SMonty
Binge Watcher

Re: IR Stops working Intermittently.

Jump to solution

Danny

As you requested, here is my information for the THREE Roku Ultra/Voice Remote Pro's that are having this problem.

TV#1  Vizio Model: D24f4-J01  (Used for maybe 80% of my TV viewing)

Roku Ultra (Network connection is wired)

Model: 4800X 

S/N: X01000UJE69Y

Device ID: S02AZ1DJE69Y

Software Ver: 11.5.0  Build: 4312-C2

Remote: Voice Remote Pro

Model: RC795

Firmware: rtn.4186

TV#2  Samsung Model:  UN46F6350AF  (Used for maybe 15% of my TV viewing)

Model: 4802X 

S/N: X010003KREK9

Device ID: S0DA222KREK9

TV#3  Samsung Model:  T24H310SND (Used for maybe 5% of my TV viewing)

Model: 4802X 

S/N: X01000DUFFLY

Device ID: S0DA229UFFLY

I can't say exactly when this started.  It was about mid October 2022.  For the first few weeks I was doing several things to try to troubleshoot problem.  I originally thought I had a faulty remote with something like a bad solder connection on the transmitter IR-LED.  I eventually got the unit replaced by Roku support and the new one installed 11/11/2022.  The problem returned and I started this conversation on the Roku Blog.  Since then, I have rotated other units between different TV's and also swapped remotes around.  All three Voice Remote Pro's have the same issue regardless of which unit or TV they are paired with.  

I also have two of the stick devices that use the regular Voice Remote (Model: RC786), and they have worked fine.  I then paired those remotes to the Ultra devices and those remotes have not failed me yet.  I eventually went to a local store and purchased two additional Voice Remote's as backup.  At this point, I don't even bother with the Voice Remote Pro's.  They are too problematic!!

As many of us have already pointed out, when the remote is failing, the IR-LED is not transmitting any light at all.  I have an IR viewable camera used to verify this claim.  I have not been able to pinpoint any way to recreate the problem.  It has been completely intermittent!!

PLEASE HELP US!!

Jump to solution

Roku Support:

This community thread should be sufficient to confirm that there is an issue with newer controllers. This issue appears to have started in December.

ROKU Model Number: 4802X
Software Version: 11.5.0.4312
Device ID: SODA22329U9H
Serial Number: ×0100029U9H

REMOTE CONTROLLERS:
Gaming Remote RC136 Firmware version 2.01.19.108
Voice Remote Pro RC701 Firmware version rtn.4186

TV CONTROLS (POWER AND VOLUME)
GOOD: Gaming remote works without any issue
BAD: Voice Remote Pro is inconsistent - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

jashaw711

Jump to solution

Having the exact same problem. Also have not found a solution.  Thinking best bet is just trying to exchange it or going back to the standard battery type.

0 Kudos
Bs50

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I find that after no volume changes during a show or game that when the commercials come on and blow you out of the room with the volume, you quickly grab the remote to turn it down and nothing. I find that I have to use the voice to turn volume down. After a few minutes the remote volume will work again. This happens many times in a night. I can yo back to my regular battery powered remote and all works well. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Yeswola
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I sent a detailed reply to someone else, my Roku stick has a connection cord that plugs into the stick and into a wall outlet, one of the connections was not tight, when I reconnected it, and all was tight, the ROKU worked. Hope this helps you.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @BAW, @wannaknow, @SMonty, @HeardTheHeard

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I have forwarded your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate the issue further. Once we got an update, we'll post it on this thread immediately.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ShareBear

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem with my remote with rechargeable batteries. Intermittently does not work,so frustrating. Defective right.

0 Kudos
blah2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also, recently having the same issue with the Voice Remote Pro. I have an LG OLED A1 TV. The remote will intermittently stop the IR functionality. I've noticed, that if I select Power or volume and then wait a minute, the functionality returns. This is an annoying bug. I do think its software and not hardware.

0 Kudos
maine4me
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. Hope it is fixed soon. Is there a way to roll back updates when something like this happens?

0 Kudos