Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pholagoo
Channel Surfer

Re: IR Stops working Intermittently.

Jump to solution

Also having this same issue, two TVs from different manufacturers (LG and Samsung).  Thought the issue was the remotes, so I "upgraded" to Voice Remote Pros for both sets and the problem still persists.  Have attempted a number of troubleshooting suggestions(updating, re-pairing, resetting, ordered HDMI extenders to see if it was interference, etc.) and nothing has fixed the issue.  I've seen topics about this issue both here and on Reddit dating back as far as Summer 2022, which would be around the time I started experiencing the issue as well.  This is not a new issue, and it's such an irritation that I've considered migrating to another platform, as I'm sure others have, too.  Hoping it's an issue that can be patched sooner rather than later, Roku may be losing customers over this.

Stratmanpa55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For my situation (LG and VISIO TV’s) when the volume/mute have intermittent outages I put the remotes (I have 2 of them) on the charger until they’re at 100% and the problem goes away. It seems like the effectiveness diminishes as the battery discharges.  The other features on the remote continue to work normally when this happens so it goes against conventional wisdom that it’s the battery, but this works consistently for me.  

0 Kudos
kfly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

FYI,

I bet the remote stops working when it gets more than 1.6V from your rechargeable batteries.

I have the same type of issue when I use the new costco duracell powerboost batts. Very strange that the voice remote IR would stop working if  the battery voltage was over 1.6V.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Voice-Remote-disconnects-hangs-for-a-few-seconds-when-Volume-I... 

0 Kudos
SMonty
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My situation is not related to battery charge levels. I’ve had several times when I’ve taken them off of a full 100% charge just to have them stop within a minute or even a few seconds. 
Just more examples of the randomness of this problem. 

0 Kudos
pholagoo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here, SMonty.  I have the same issue regardless of charge percentage 😔

0 Kudos
wannaknow
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well I feel like I'm "tempting fate" here, but for the last 4 days my RC701 has been working just fine...no dropped IR, mute & volume responding as they should.....battery level is 83%...

No recent updates, Software: 11.5.0 - Build 4312-50....Dec. 20/22 is the last update showing....

I've no idea what has changed or why but I sure hope it keeps working....😊....

Hopefully others will also find their remotes "fixed"....

BilD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've thrown in the towel waiting for this IR problem to be fixed along with the other FW bugs (video and audio quitting and needing a reboot).

Since my Amazon return window was closing, I've returned my 3 new Ultras.

I chose Roku because I recalled my many good experiences with Anthony Wood's ReplayTV products over 25 years ago.  They were solid reliable products that served me well for many years.

Unfortunately, I was mistaken to assume that Anthony's Roku products would share the same DNA as his ReplayTV products.  Bugs happen but Anthony's team has been dropping the ball here with timely fixes.

0 Kudos
arsagano
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've continued to follow this since I have an impacted remote.  I don't want to give others (or myself) false hope, but I am also experiencing normal remote activity today.  No firmware difference, haven't charged it either. 

I'm extremely interested in what changes have been pushed by Roku.  There is zero chance this just randomly resolved itself, if it is indeed resolved.

pholagoo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I can confirm that my issue still persists as of last night.  I have short bursts every now and then where it seems that everything is working as it should, but they come far less often these last couple months.  Almost seems as if the issue has worsened somehow.

0 Kudos
SMonty
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have just about given up hope that Roku “support” is interested in addressing this problem. 
Today, I was at a store and saw someone looking at a Roku Ultra. I told him about this issue!  He said “thanks for the information” and said he would do some more research before making his decision. 

0 Kudos