Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remotes_failing
Reel Rookie

I'm tired of buying $40 streaming sticks because my remote keep failing after 1 year

Jump to solution

We have owned Roku sticks for years, going back to about 2013. We love the interface and integration and small form factor that remains hidden without wires. However, I am at my wits end with their hardware continuously failing. We have purchased 6-7 rokus over the years for our two TVs because they keep failing, and remotes are cost prohibitive to purchase for the sticks. Meanwhile we have a TV remote that has lasted over a decade on a single remote!

We purchased the last round of Rokus in late 2021 and activated them in late 2021 and early 2022. They are now failing yet again. It's been 18-20 months and yet again the remotes are no longer correctly directing the sticks. No, it's not batteries (I wish!). No matter what we do (reformatting roku, fresh install, reconnecting remote, etc) it does not fix the problem. 

Anyone else seeing anything close to this failure rate? We don't smoke, have pets, etc that would contribute to additional wear. Just regular watching TV one to two hours a night.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: I'm tired of buying $40 streaming sticks because my remote keep failing after 1 year

Jump to solution

Rokus, other than sticks, can work with both IR and an RF remotes.  IR opens up the possibility of using alternate brand universal remotes.  Just a thought if you continue to not get along with Roku’s remotes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: I'm tired of buying $40 streaming sticks because my remote keep failing after 1 year

Jump to solution

@remotes_failing

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
remotes_failing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

I've got two left, the others we've thrown out. You can go thru our account history I'm sure and see all the Rukus we've registered. One of the current remotes is on the fritz. The other is working OK. We've got two Google chromecasts taking their place.

Like I said, we loved the product and interface but I refuse to spend $80/yr (two sticks) for failing remotes.

This was a post, mostly out of frustration, but also to let Roku know they have a problem. We don't smoke, no pets, very little wear and tear on the remotes, yet they keep failing. It's not an us problem, it's a Roku problem. I've never had a remote fail on anything, ever.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Rokus, other than sticks, can work with both IR and an RF remotes.  IR opens up the possibility of using alternate brand universal remotes.  Just a thought if you continue to not get along with Roku’s remotes.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.