Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anakua
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote constantly stops working, even with fresh batteries

Jump to solution

Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Controls

MrsMcD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My power & volume controls stopped working yesterday (12/13/20). I have tried every recommendation posted as well as changing batteries, checked for updates, restored back to factory settings, went thru all 8 music codes, paired remote several times, removed stick from HDMI port, & still nothing. The mobile app doesn't allow u to adjust volume (only put in private mode) or power tv. Now my original Vizio smart TV remote won't even work, so I can't verify or enable CEC.

The TV is mounted w/ power cord in the wall. All I want is to be able to turn off my TV b/c it's been on for a day now. I have to wait until the screen saver comes on so I can sleep. This month's electric bill is going to be higher b/c of this, I bet.

Funny thing is that I have another streaming stick in another room & it works fine. 

HELP!!!

0 Kudos
Curious_1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Vizio smart TVs usually have a single button on the tv itself that will do the power, volume, and get you to the settings for the tv itself. I used to have a vizio smart tv believe me if you don't know where it is and didn't look at the manual you may not even know how much you can truly do when you don't have your remote for your tv. I found the button for my tv that I had in the back on the bottom right it was pretty much flush with the tv itself. 

0 Kudos
MrsMcD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Curious_1, I did find & pressed that button several times but still no avail. I don't want to buy another remote, but considering it.

0 Kudos
JCollell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my enhanced remote. I started having issues with my stick and my remote maybe 2-3 months ago. I am convinced this is a software issue as a result of firmware updates.

I did a factory reset and the stick is performing better but the remote is problematic. Another poster spoke of a fix involving accessing a secret screen with hidden remote settings and turning off the sleep mode. Essentially the remote is always on which seemed to fix the issue but drains your batteries a lot faster. This makes sense and would explain the erratic performance where it works briefly and then doesn't work or there is latency like you send commands and the remote wakes up after 10 seconds. I had pressed a bunch of commands and 10-20 seconds later my Roku is acting possessed.

The mobile app works perfectly and I assume it is because sleep mode is non-existent when you are using the app's virtual remote. I wish Roku would listen to this feedback. I am convinced there is a bug with the remote's sleep mode and I am convinced it is due to spotty firmware updates, not remote failure. Not dead batteries.

EvanEff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, not sure if this is the issue with your remote or not, but, my remote stopped working as well for about 30 mins everyday.   I like to keep my door open because my dogs loves to investigate the outside.  This was not a problem during the winter.  But late winter early spring it started acting up at the same time everyday.  Me, as a scientist (not a tech engineer) noticed that the sunlight in my room directly shines on my roku reciever everyday at the same time when my door is open during the spring/fall months.  So I did an experiment, door open, roku remote not working, door closed (aka no sun light on the roku receiver) the remote wouldn't work.  The sun produces enough infrared light that it blinds the roku receiver making it appear as though your remote is not working when it is perfectly fine.  Im not sure if this has to do with the time of year or not but ive definitely proven my theory with my experiment and this is an unknown problem that probably extends to other infrared devices.  I am going to keep doing more experiments and I will notify you of my findings.  

0 Kudos
geno2u
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Standard and Enhanced point anywhere remotes use RF (radio frequency), Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi Direct and don't need line-of-sight. However, they must be paired with a Roku device before they can be used

0 Kudos
EvanEff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine is infrared no pairing required

0 Kudos
geno2u
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow, I have been using the Roku since pre hdmi days and they all had blue tooth remote. My new roku ultra has infrared but its for the tv not the roku box. Thanks, I learned something new today. 

0 Kudos
Meggo29
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also having this issue. I can reset the remote and it works for about a week then I have to reset the whole system to get it to work again for a week. How can I get this fixed?

0 Kudos