Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrys2

Remote Draining Batteries

Jump to solution

The remote for my Roku Streaming Stick+ is draining batteries about every 2-3 days.  I see many other Roku users are having similar problems.

What is Roku providing for a solution to this obvious product design problem?

0 Kudos
Davis1

Re: Roku Streaming stick 3810x remote draining battery in 5 days

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

@arapheon 

I completely understand the financial argument in the short-term. However, a company cannot expect to survive in the long-term if it does not proactively address legitimate concerns by a significant number of its existing customers. Negative word of mouth tends to spread like wild fire and will quickly start eroding into new sales. The most successful companies see the benefit of maintaining a positive reputation with consumers that already own their product.

0 Kudos
mabell007
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did you computer chat, email, or phone?  When I first did computer chatted, back in December, before I saw all the activity on this thread, I got "take it back to the store"  then I rated them poor on their survey and they said they were going to credit me in roku dollars which I never saw.  I wonder which mode of communication works to get through to them, and wonder if any "new" remote might or might not work.  how do we get the attention of someone who can take care of this issue, or at least respond...DannyR has not, I am going to try to add other roku folks to all future posts.

0 Kudos
mabell007
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Any answer on this issue?  Any resolution.  many batteries dying, wasted dollars.  Have PMD Roku DANNY R but no response.  Have tried switching from USB to Wall, am now using rechargeable batteries but having to change them out every 5 days or so.  Roku should get in front of this issue......A response from Roku would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.  

DanMI
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just to give an update, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have two Roku Streaming Stick+ devices. One was purchased in August 2019:

Roku Streaming Stick+ model 3810X running software 9.4.0 build 4200-50 with Voice Remote model RC339 firmware 2.01.19.108

This Stick+ has always been powered by the USB port on our kitchen TV and batteries last a long time. I just put in my third set of batteries after 18 months of use, so I’m getting around 9 months on a set of AAAs. The TV is used ~2 hrs a day.

The second Roku Streaming Stick+ was purchased at the end of Nov. 2020:

Roku Streaming Stick+ model 3810RW running software 9.4.0 build 4200-50 with Voice Remote model RC404 firmware rtn.4086

This Roku is also powered by the USB port on our family room TV. It is also used approx. 2 hours a day. Batteries were lasting around 3 weeks tops.

A week ago I paired the older Voice Remote model RC339 with the newer Streaming Stick+, and the newer Voice Remote model RC404 with the older Streaming Stick+. Both Rokus are still powered by the TVs USB port (Rokus were kept on their original TVs.). After a week, one remote is showing a 1% drain in battery power and the other is still at 100%. Yes, even the remote that was draining fast is now working fine paired with the older model Streaming Stick+.

Not sure why this is the case, but I’m not going to complain! I have reported this to the Roku engineers. If you have a newer Roku Streaming Stick+, you may want to see if you can get your hands on an older model Voice remote to see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@DanMI 

Do you switch power off to both TVs when they are not being used?

Do you know if the TV USB ports continue to power both Roku sticks even when the TVs are turned off? You can tell if they are getting power if there is a white light on the stick. Also, if it's getting power, when you turn the TV on it will immediately display the Home screen or the screen saver, not the ROKU logo bootup screen.

0 Kudos
DanMI
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@SRQtech 

Yes, both TVs are turned completely off when not in use. Both Streaming Stick+ devices turn completely off. No white light on either. Every time I start up either TV, I have to wait a bit while the Roku boots (the bouncing Roku logo), then the home screen displays and maybe 5-10 seconds later the remote connects and I can control the device.

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@mabell007 

I initially did a chat via Roku support website. While chatting, I asked for a Supervisor callback. That same day, a Supervisor called me back, created a Support Ticket (emailed me a copy), sent me 3 new remotes (I have 3 Stick+) and scheduled a 2 week follow-up callback. Whenever I reply to the Support Ticket email, the same supervisor will reply back in about a day.

I seriously doubt the new remotes will help unless they are new revisions. They've asked me to send the old remotes back (at their expense) so their Engineers can test them in their lab. At least I feel like they are trying to resolve this issue, albeit slowly. I only wish they would credit me for all the batteries I'm having to purchase to keep the remotes working in the meantime.

0 Kudos
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@DanMI 

Ok thanks. That's really strange that even with the sticks completely powered off, your remote batteries are not getting quickly drained. Most people, including me, seem to only see battery life improvement after keeping the sticks powered on all the time. The thought being that the remote burns batteries by constantly trying to connect to the powered off stick.

I would think it's simply because you are using an older remote, but your other remote is the same model as mine. Perhaps you've hit on the magic combo - old stick with new remote, new stick with old remote. Did the Engineers have any comments about why that unique setup would solve the battery drain problem?

0 Kudos