Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Golf1965
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

Powering your roku from a wall outlet and keeping constant power on your Roku will probably work. You shouldn't have to, but that will probably fix it.

0 Kudos
arapheon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Golf1965 

😅😅😅

Roku Streaming stick 3810x remote draining battery in 5 days

Jump to solution

I am facing issue with Remote draining  charge in 1 week , if I use a regular battery it drains in 2 days . I have roku installed on my loft tv which we use occasionally, after a week when I try to switch on the tv with the Remote it dint work it took a while for me to figure out the battery was the issue . I am surprised to see a Duracell battery getting drained in less than a week 

0 Kudos
dmhayes99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree it is time for a C.AL. Give me a replacement device that not drain batteries or I want in on the action!

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@arapheon 

So with the stick powered directly by a wall outlet, how long are your remote batteries now lasting?

Two weeks ago, I switched all 3 of my sticks from USB power to wall outlet power. With new batteries in the remotes & only about 1 hour use per day, they are all down to 80% already. That still seems way too fast.

0 Kudos
amians01
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I didn’t try because wire is too small but according to the blog this whole theory of using wall socket is **bleep**.

0 Kudos
arapheon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@amians01 

You can use any normal micro usb cable, not just the short one that comes with it.

@SRQtech - 4% in two months.

For me, I was using a new set every week. Then the last time I changed them, I looked at the percentage 24 hours after putting in brand new batteries and they were already at 72%. That sent me over the edge and i decided I wasn't going to stop until I figured out a way to fix it.

Once I plugged the roku stick power into a wall socket, the problem was gone. I am at 68% two months later

arapheon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@SRQtech 

I agree 80%is too low after a week. But as fast as mine were going I could actually live with that. At least it's a month or so of use. I don't know why mine would absolutely stop draining completely and yours wouldn't. 

Are you turning the Roku off at all? Mine is on 24/7

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@arapheon My sticks are powered on all the time. The remotes are always within 15' of the sticks. Battery life is definitely better since switching power to the wall outlet, but they still drain much faster than any of my other remotes.

With all the posts here reporting the same battery issue for weeks, I don't understand why Roku doesn't come out with an official statement about what is causing the fast battery drain and what can be done to fix it.

0 Kudos
arapheon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@SRQtech 

Probably because mathematically/financially it would work better for them to have a bunch of existing Roku owners complain about remote problems than it would be to miss out on potential sales from non Roku owners that decide not to buy one because they heard about battery problems in an official statement.

Kind of like the auto companies not doing recalls until the cost of settling wrongful death claims surpasses what the cost of a recall would be.

Google recently released a software update to their phones that 100% bricked the cameras on the Pixel 2 and 3. It's so painfully obvious that they accidentally ruined the cameras in millions of their users phones. Yet they will never, ever admit that until they feel it would be financially beneficial to do so. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.