Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meatman99

Re: I have a Roku TV with no remote. and I am not connected to wifi

Jump to solution

ok thanks but do you know how I can then connect the remote to my TV? I haven't been able to find any information on that. its a Sanyo. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@meatman99 

There are instructions in the box. All Roku Voice Remotes connect to Roku TVs the same way. Just follow the instructions. You shouldn't have any trouble.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
meatman99

Jump to solution

regardless of if the TV is connected to WIFI or not? thanks!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@meatman99 

The TV can't connect to WiFi without a remote. And the Voice Remote will do that. Just be standing close to the powered-on TV when you put the batteries in the remote. But, as mentioned, the instructions cover all that. It's really easy. I can do it, so I know you can.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

fhayden001

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

Used method 3, two cell phones and it worked like a charm. TV up and running in 2 minutes with one phone as the remote. Thank you.

0 Kudos
tiride
Reel Rookie

Configure Roku TV After Factory Reset Without Remote

Jump to solution

My Roku TCL TV was turning on by itself and scrolling through menus. I tried everything to make it stop and finally did a factory reset. The remote I have is wifi because the infared receiver on the TV stopped working. Now when the TV turns on it asks for a language. I can't select language with the remote or remote app because the TV is not connected to wifi. I tried using the power button to select language but it doesn't work. Is there a way to manually configure a factory reset TV with no infared remote so I can connect the TV to wifi?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Configure Roku TV After Factory Reset Without Remote

Jump to solution

@tiride 

The Roku Voice remote should connect to a Roku TV. They are compatible with all Roku TVs. A Roku device (including a Roku TV) does not need to be connected to a network for the Voice Remote to be paired to it. The Roku app remote needs an existing network connection, but not the Voice Remote. It will pair as long as both the Roku device (including a Roku TV) and the remote are both working properly.

For future reference, a factory reset is a last resort. Generally you wouldn't do that if something else could reasonably be tried.

So, you had an issue with the Roku TV scrolling. That could indicate a problem with the remote. Perhaps it needed new batteries. And, if a set of new batteries didn't work, the next step would be to replace with other new batteries from a different package. They can go bad just sitting, and a different pack of batteries reduces the odds of that.

Failing that, if the batteries are truly good, and the remote is the problem, we've not go a situation where two different kinds of remotes went bad. That's very unusual. Possible, but very unusual.

One option is run to Walmart and get a new Voice Remote. If it pairs, then your Voice Remote went bad. If not, well, we'll go down that road when we need to. Anyway, you should be able to return the remote if it didn't resolve the issue.

Another line to pursue is: how certain are you it was the IR sensor on the TV that was bad? You provided no information regarding that conclusion. Is it possible an incorrect conclusion was reached? After all,  you can't simply run to Walmart and pick up an IR remote that works with Roku and expect it to work with a Roku TV. The codes for Roku TV (there are two different code sets) are not the same as the ones for standard Roku devices. (There are three IR code sets for Roku. One is for standard non-stick Roku devices. Two are for Roku TVs. They are all incompatible with each other.)

Does this information offer you a path forward?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
tiride
Reel Rookie

Re: Configure Roku TV After Factory Reset Without Remote

Jump to solution

Thank you for the advice about the remote not needing wifi. I was able to successfully pair the remote and complete the setup. I'm streaming again. Now I hope the TV turning on by itself is resolved. Thank you very much for the information and direction I thought I was going to need a new TV.

0 Kudos
Mina24

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

The way I did it was I connected one of the Ethernet cables I had available directly to the tv and to the new modem. Once connected the Roku app on my phone automatically worked since I was connected to the wifi but I decided to connect the tv to the wifi anyway so I can keep using the ethernet cable to my other device it was originally plugged in to. Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
NadalFan

Re: Connecting Roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

THANK YOU MAKAIGUY!!  That worked for us!!  We basically tricked the Roku device into thinking that the hot spot from my son’s iPhone was the house’s old wifi network by changing the name & password on my son’s phone to be what our old wifi name and password was. I connected my iPhone to my son’s hot spot and then the remote on my Roku app worked again!! With that remote on my iPhone, I was able to change the Roku device wifi settings to connect to our home’s new Wi-Fi network. Then I reconnected my iPhone back to my new home network and the problem was solved! You’rea genus!