Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beauknowsdiddly
Reel Rookie

Do I need a new remote for my roku streaming stick?

Jump to solution

My remote has completely stopped working.. I have tried rebooting all, changing batteries. Nothing works. I have the streaming stick serial number is A7176J062601. I tried to order the free hdmi extender cable but it keeps telling me it's the wrong serial number. It's not. I've put it in several times correctly, as listed in my devices on my roku account which is the same as on the stick itself. I can't seem to get the pairing screen to come up so when I hit the pairing button on the remote, all I get is the blinking green LED. 

What do I do now? Do I need a new remote, or another stick? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do I need a new remote for my roku streaming stick?

Jump to solution

From my old list of serial numbers to Roku devices, it looks like you have a model 3600. Is that right?  I wonder if it's too old to get the extender, but that doesn't seem right.  Are you copying and pasting from the account page?

My preferred way to pair a remote is to disconnect the power from the stick, press and hold the pairing button on the stick until the light starts flashing, set the remote down near the stick, then connect the power to the stick. Make sure you have good fresh batteries in the remote.

You might want to try a different USB power adapter and/or a different USB cable.  The 3600 doesn't require a special USB cable like some of the other sticks.

If you don't have another Roku device you can try the remote on, then it might be hard to determine if it's the stick or the remote.  When the Home Screen comes up is the time in the upper right corner correct or does it state, "Not connected"?  If the time is correct, then it must be connected to your network, so it should be able to connect to the remote.  If it is the remote, I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a new remote for such an old device.  You'd need a $20 Voice Remote or $30 Voice Remote Pro unless you wanted to get one on the used market.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

From my old list of serial numbers to Roku devices, it looks like you have a model 3600. Is that right?  I wonder if it's too old to get the extender, but that doesn't seem right.  Are you copying and pasting from the account page?

My preferred way to pair a remote is to disconnect the power from the stick, press and hold the pairing button on the stick until the light starts flashing, set the remote down near the stick, then connect the power to the stick. Make sure you have good fresh batteries in the remote.

You might want to try a different USB power adapter and/or a different USB cable.  The 3600 doesn't require a special USB cable like some of the other sticks.

If you don't have another Roku device you can try the remote on, then it might be hard to determine if it's the stick or the remote.  When the Home Screen comes up is the time in the upper right corner correct or does it state, "Not connected"?  If the time is correct, then it must be connected to your network, so it should be able to connect to the remote.  If it is the remote, I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a new remote for such an old device.  You'd need a $20 Voice Remote or $30 Voice Remote Pro unless you wanted to get one on the used market.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
beauknowsdiddly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Woohooo! That did it! I did not know the stick itself had a pairing button as well. I disconnected the power from the stick like you suggested but then the pairing button wouldn't work so I had to have the power plugged into the stick. But we did it! Thank you, thank you!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.