Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sf2fruticosus
Reel Rookie

Can't control volume or power with new Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

Jump to solution

I see someone posted a similar problem to mine a month ago.

My old Roku remote worked fine in all ways I needed it to, but I seem to have lost it. I purchased a new, more modern version to replace it: the Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition), but after pairing it I see I don't have the ability to change the TV volume or turn the TV on/off. All the arrow keys work fine for navigation and playing TV shows and switching among apps, but the volume lever on the right does not change the volume, and the power button does nothing. I've re-paired several times. I've also tried switching from IR to CEC, and though my LG TV does have CEC enabled, the Roku doesn't seem to be able to connect via CEC.

A possible clue: when I press the volume lever on the right, though the volume doesn't change, after a second or two a battery status display indicator appears in the upper right of the screen. All four bars are green. I assume this is indicating that the remote was just fully charged, but I'm surprised to see this indicator at all simply from pressing the volume lever.

I hope this is all relevant information:

Roku device:
Device Model: 4670X - Roku Ultra
Serial number: YJ005C954795
Device ID: KW9985954795
Software version: 13.0.0 • build 24056-46

TV:
LG model 55UQ7570PUJ

Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition:
On the back of my remote it’s hard to make out but I think it says: Mod RC-OS1. However, in Settings > Voice Remote Pro > About > it says Model: RC880

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't control volume or power with new Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

Jump to solution

@sf2fruticosusg

CEC includes a number of different control functions. Some TVs do not support all of them.

My 12 year old Samsung does not support power, volume, or mute via CEC. When I try set up via CEC it fails.  But with the Roku's "1 Touch play" enabled, when a Roku control key is pressed on the Roku remote, the TV does respond by switching to the Roku's HDMI port, turning the TV on if necessary.

But I can still set the remote up to control the TV's power, volume, and mute controls via infrared (IR) . 

Different tvs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to find and send the correct code set for YOUR tv.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
At this point if your remote has already been setup for the tv but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@sf2fruticosusg

CEC includes a number of different control functions. Some TVs do not support all of them.

My 12 year old Samsung does not support power, volume, or mute via CEC. When I try set up via CEC it fails.  But with the Roku's "1 Touch play" enabled, when a Roku control key is pressed on the Roku remote, the TV does respond by switching to the Roku's HDMI port, turning the TV on if necessary.

But I can still set the remote up to control the TV's power, volume, and mute controls via infrared (IR) . 

Different tvs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to find and send the correct code set for YOUR tv.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
At this point if your remote has already been setup for the tv but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
sf2fruticosus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! That solved the problem. I didn't realize that after the remote is set up for IR and 'IR Setup' has a check mark, you still need to click on 'IR Setup' to engage several additional prompts. The configuration process tried several codes for my LG TV, and upon sending the second set it hit the jackpot.

I thought that once I saw that checkmark on 'IR Setup', that was the end of the configuration process. But no, there are more prompts to respond to, and music to listen to.

Works fine now. Thanks much.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.