Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Audio out/ Optical. Remote volume control not working with receiver

Jump to solution

@winrose46

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Roku device remotes do not support control over external devices.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
winrose46
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, I even plugged it directly into the television without success.  Apple 4K and Amazon Cube 2.0 both permit their controller to control sound through my Onkyo audio receiver.  Is there a universal  remote device that I can substitute for the Roku remote that will permit control of the Roku Ultra and volume control to be routed via a audio receiver?  The Roku Ultra appears to able to retain the 4K settings that the Amazon Cube 2.0 can not do and which needs to be reset at each start of a viewing session.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku states their remotes will only control TVs via IR. Any AVR volume control is done via CEC, which requires an HDMI connection between the Roku and the AVR. I have no problem controlling my Yamaha AVRs with the volume control on my Roku Ultra (4640 and 4800) remotes. It is done via CEC.

All Roku players, other than the Stick models, support IR. That means you could get a universal IR remote that supports Roku and your receiver. You would then have a single remote that controls both devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Gary2033

Re: Audio out/ Optical. Remote not working with receiver

Jump to solution

Hi, what kind of roku remote did you get from Amazon? Are you saying it can control volume with Optical as the audio option, with a converter box connecting the rca (onkyo) receiver to the roku TV via the optical port?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.