Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kat5374
Channel Surfer

Accessing Channels without having to scroll through 300 channels...

How is everyone accessing channels without having to scroll through each one? I have an Antennea with my normal channels and it's added streaming channels. I can't figure out how to watch Channel 156 (Let's say) and then get back to Channel 2 without having to take 15 minutes to scroll through. The lag time scrolling through each one is horrendous. 

32 REPLIES 32
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Accessing Channels without having to scroll through 300 channels...

You bought a streaming TV. If does not have channel numbers. You should have bought a normal tv then a Roku device. A Roku TV is designed for streaming and cord cutters

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@kat5374 

That's a lot of local channels to pick up. I get 25 total. Where the heck are you that you pick up that many local channels?

Roku doesn't make Roku TVs. Roku makes the streaming boxes and sticks, but not the TVs. Roku licenses their software to manufacturers such as TCL, Hisense, RCA, etc. Most (all?) Roku TV manufacturers include infrared (IR) remotes, but the IR codes for Roku TVs are not the same ones that Roku uses on the boxes.

All that to say it's the Roku TV manufactures that make the TVs and the remotes. The remotes must meet certain Roku requirements, so that Roku users have a similar experience. But the TV manufacturers don't include buttons for TV channels. And Roku doesn't on their devices because Roku doesn't make devices with TV tuners.

You can find third-party remotes for Roku TVs, but you need to ensure that it will work with your Roku TV brand. There are two different code sets that Roku TVs use, and neither are the code set that Roku itself uses on Roku devices. So, you need to be thorough in any research for that.

I have no personal experiencing locating a Roku TV compatible remote because I haven't needed to, so I can't point you in any particular direction. But with the information I've provided, you may be able to find a third-party remote that will work in your situation.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

kat5374
Channel Surfer

LOL... Screw you! I simply asked if there was a way to be able to change channels without scrolling. If you're going to be a **bleep** don't respond!

kat5374
Channel Surfer

All those channels are not local. When I set up the antennae channels there was a mess of channels added to my local. That I'll have to figure out. From what the two responses I'm reading there is no way to view a channel without scrolling to it. 

kat5374
Channel Surfer

AND one other note! I don't buy a TV and research the remote as part of my buying experience! 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@kat5374 wrote:

All those channels are not local. When I set up the antennae channels there was a mess of channels added to my local....

Um, when you scan for channels with an antenna, it's only suppose to add channels it can pick up, making them local. What other channels are showing? I picked up it was a Roku TV, and that's how they work. Am I confused about your TV?

Or are you talking about something other than local channels via antenna? Did I jump to the wrong conclusion about what you're asking? If so, explain it again so I better understand what you're asking.

@kat5374 wrote:

...From what the two responses I'm reading there is no way to view a channel without scrolling to it. 

If you're talking about the local channels via an antenna connection, that is correct. But it's usually not a large number of channels. At least, not a massively large number of channels. But yes, you have to scroll through them if the remote does not have channel number buttons on it. And I've never seen a Roku TV (again, not made by Roku) that has that. A third party remote would be the way to get it. Or if the manufacturer (again, not Roku) makes an alternate remote. You'd have to contact them about that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

A TCL Roku TV or other manufacturers are designed for streaming. Says so on the box. There are no channel numbers on the remote cause it’s not how it works. And yes you always do your research before buying something. Especially a TV. So you want a remote with numbers correct 

0 Kudos
kat5374
Channel Surfer

So WHAT if it says streaming TV... !!!! You're just replying to be a KNOW IT ALL Jack ass! I bet I'm the ONLY one who was side blinded with something like this... Wrong! Go invade someone else's space with your arrogance. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So you bought a Roku Streaming TV. The remote doesn’t have channel buttons. And now your upset. When you opened the box and saw the remote why didn’t you return the TV?

0 Kudos