Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cedar1

2 remotes needed if soundbar is connected?

I am considering buying a soundbar for my Roku tv.  The Verizon remote is able to control the Roku tv.  But I am wondering if I will need to use a second remote once a soundbar is connected.

This question might be more about soundbars in general.  In other words, when a soundbar is connected to a tv, does one still control the volume by the tv? Or does one have to use the soundbar controls to control the volume?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2 remotes needed if soundbar is connected?

If the soundbar only has optical then you would need two remotes. If it had hdmi, and once the Roku tv recognizes it a cec device, then if the Verizon remote can control the tv volume, it will also control the soundbar volume too. Once two devices are linked via cec, their respective volumes will control each other. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Cedar1

The Roku soundbar I am looking at is wireless only (https://www.roku.com/products/audio/tcl-roku-tv-wireless-soundbar)

So does this mea

0 Kudos
Cedar1

My last post was entered prematurely. I meant to ask if I need 2 remotes where the soundbar is wireless, as is the case here?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Then no, you would not need two remotes only the Roku tv remote in that case. I have the original Roku soundbar, which connects to Roku tv or any tv brand via hdmi. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Cedar1

I think I need to be clearer.

I have Verizon Fios.  I use the Fios remote to control the Roku TV. (I do not believe it is an option to have the Roku remote control the Fios set-top box).  But now I want to add the Roku wireless sound bar.   

So in this scenario, do I need two remotes (one for the Roku soundbar, and one for Fios)?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Sorry but I can't say for sure. But I doubt the Verizon remote would work, because I don't think the TCL Soundbar will accept IR commands. For about the same price you can get the Roku Streambar Pro and it would accept IR commands from your Verizon remote. 

Roku® Streambar® Pro | All-In-One Streaming Soundbar for TV | Roku

Edmund

Tivoburkee

@Cedar1 

Someone asked on Amazon if the TCL soundbar can be controlled by Directv remote, TCL answer was if the third-party remote can control the Roku tv, it will control the TCL Soundbar volume. 

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

So, the Verizon remote controls the Roku tv, it should control the Tcl Soundbar. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.