Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trac3y
Channel Surfer

connecting Bose 1-2-3; what settings do i use on Roku tv to get picture & sound

i seem to have the system hooked up correctly, but what settings do i use on the Roku tv.

i get no sound or picture.

Tracey Springer
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: connecting Bose 1-2-3; what settings do i use on Roku tv to get picture & sound

The Bose should be hooked to hdmi-arc, once it is refresh the cec devices under controlling other devices in the Roku tv menu. 

Roku remotes only control tv's, its up to the Tv to control the stereo via cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
trac3y
Channel Surfer

Re: connecting Bose 1-2-3; what settings do i use on Roku tv to get picture & sound

Do I have to have an optical audio cable in oder to make sound.?

Tracey Springer
0 Kudos
trac3y
Channel Surfer

what type male cable goes into the av output

what type of "jack" [for lack of a better word] fits av in port on the back of the 55" tcl roku. i need to find a 7 pin s composite video cable to connect to the male in

out port [with yellow ring around it

adding a bose gs 321 system to roku tv. 

I NEED HELP    Tracey RPlease and Thanks

Tracey Springer
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: what type male cable goes into the av output

A couple of questions - are your sure it doesn't say "AV IN" by that yellow connector?  Also, I can't find any Bose 123, but I do see Bose 3-2-1.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
trac3y
Channel Surfer

You are so right...3 2 1 it is and you're correct about the av in.

Tracey Springer
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@trac3y 

Not trying to usurp @renojim (he knows his stuff) but we're talking about this system, right?

Aren't you simply wanting to use it for the sound for your TV? You wouldn't be outputting the video from the TV to the sound system, would you? Only the audio, right? And you'd simply use the RCA plugs connected to the red/white RCA jacks to connect the TV and sound system, if that's the case.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
trac3y
Channel Surfer

I was told by Bose that I needed to do this. The sound came when put on FM, but not on the TV - no sound at all 

I am tech challenged and I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Tracey Springer
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@trac3y 

I'm not going to dispute anything Bose said to you, but I do wonder if they understood what you were asking, or even if they understood that you had a Roku TV, not a TV with a separate Roku device attached.

Or, maybe I'm not understanding things.

On manual page 17, it does show that you would connect the video from the Bose to the TV composite input. However, that would be if you had an external video source, such as a DVD player or a VCR. And if you have those, then yes, do that. But, if the TV is your video source, you wouldn't take HD or UHD video and feed it into your Bose to get SD video back out to watch. I mean, you can connect the RCA cords but you wouldn't be using the video through the Bose, only the audio.

Pages 27 & 28 indicate (but I don't see that it explicitly states) that you would use Video 1 for video/audio of the TV. I'm not certain why it matters, but that's how I'm reading it. At a minimum, connect the red/white RCS cords to the corresponding RCS jacks on the TV and Bose. I personally think the yellow video would be optional, but you may want to connect it anyway.

You would then use Video 1 to select the TV for listening.

If I'm reading it correctly. @renojim may very well have better thoughts on this. If he contradicts anything I've said, defer to him.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@DBDukes @trac3y 

The Bose system includes a built-in DVD player, so if she wants to watch her DVDs on the TV (or from another source connected to/through her Bose), she needs to connect a Composite (yellow) cable (one is included with the Bose) from the Video Out connectors of the Bose to the Composite (yellow) Video In connector via the 3.5mm AV adapter (included with the TV).

Otherwise, if she wants to listen to the TV through the Bose, she needs to connect an Optical (SPDIF) cable (not included, she'll probably need to buy one) from the Optical Output port on the TV to the Optical Input port on the Bose.

When watching a DVD, she'll need to switch the TV's input to "AV" or "Video" or "Composite" (whatever TV input corresponds to the AV ports); likewise, when watching TV (or anything connected to/through the TV such as via an HDMI port), she'll need to switch the Bose's input to "Video 1" if she wants to hear audio from the Bose.

(NOTE: Its not clear why Bose support mentioned using a 7-pin S-Video cable/connection, since the Bose uses a 4-pin S-Video Output, but its moot regardless since the TCL TV lacks an S-Video input)