Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reklats
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

I noticed that the battery's I take out still have a voltage of 1.482 volts.  A fresh battery reads 1.609 volts so the Roku remote is only allowing a drop of .127 volts in battery voltage before the remote won't function any more. I can use the battery's I take out of the Roku remote in other devices for a long time. I believe people are forced to change batteries that still have a lot of service left. Maybe the remote needs some redesign or better chip set?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@pan @Reklats

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you need help with your remote draining batteries, please see my post above. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The voltage you are measuring when you take them out of the Roku is deceptive. Imagine a battery as a voltage in series with a resistor:

BatteryBattery

When you take it out of the remote and measure its voltage, the voltage at the terminals will be V because no current is flowing. When you put it in the remote current will flow and voltage will increase across the resistor and voltage will go down at the terminals. As the battery gets flatter the size of that resistor increases...

0 Kudos
Navymom65

Jump to solution

Serial number. YH00DF950058

0 Kudos
Sherylt
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku needs to recall their TV Remotes due to draining of batteries.

Jump to solution

NO!NO! NO! NOT AN ACCEPTABLE RESPONSE!!

0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, I think you are right. I don't think they will though

0 Kudos
davidoflouisian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i have a brand new roku 4k hd hdr - it drains the batteries every 4th or 5th day  they are AA energizer batteries

0 Kudos
davidoflouisian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Are you using a headset to listen to your programs so as not to wake any one up or keep them from falling asleep?

If so, I believe you may find that without using a headset your batteries last longer.

david 'hi tech guesses' bahn

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is odd, and it hasn't been my experience.

The batteries I remove from my Roku remotes after they no longer function are truly discharged to the point where they can't be used elsewhere.

0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It would mean that everyone experiencing flat batteries was using headphones. I have never used that feature and 3 days max  on batteries