Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

@akluch

Thanks for the reply.

Please be aware that your device is no longer under warranty. If you need a replacement remote for your Roku device, you can purchase a compatible remote on our Products page here: Roku Accessories

For more information about our device warranty, visit our Support page here: Player warranty and license agreement

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
akluch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Kariza,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have no problems ordering a new remote. Would you suggest to go with Roku Voice Remote Pro rather than Roku Voice Remote? Is my understanding correct that the Pro version is more advanced/"better" version of regular Voice one?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hello, my Roku remote needs battery replacement very frequently.  Please give me advice in how to resolve the battery drain issue.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

You keeps saying that because it worked for you. It didn't for me. In any case if the Roku is disconnected to power over night, why are the batteries dead in the remote in the morning. Why should the unit drain the batteries anyway?

0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries?

Jump to solution

As a technician the only thing that makes any logical sense is that there is a headphones socket. That means that there is audio being transmitted by the Roku  as a digital signal and being received by the remote. Theoretically the rest of the remote is used for digital transmission to the Roku.

So, if you aren't pressing buttons, it's not doing anything or  at least that's what should be happening.

The audio receiver is working all the time even if you don't have head phones connected. My theory is that this amplifier/decoder unit is most likely the problem. We can't turn it off and even if the Roku is off and the TV is off, that amplifier/decoder is still on possibly receiving signal on the WiFi network and working through the night and day 24/7. Now we assume that the remote doesn't respond to anything but signals from the Roku (as it should) and should be inert unless it gets 'Roku' signals.

My guess is that it's still picking up stuff and remaining active. Now looking at a lot of these posts, people are all experiencing different but short battery life. If it's the same fault it would depend on 2 things - battery type and RF noise in your environment. for me, batteries are lucky to last 24 hours, some of you, 2 weeks or more. Battery type won't account for this difference. so here is my idea - after you have finished for the night, wrap the remote in aluminum foil or even better, keep it in a tin besides your chair only taking it out to use 🙂

Let me know what happens 🙂

0 Kudos
sjpriv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

model 4640x,  my remote batteries also drain very quickly. the remote, i guess as a consequence, looses connection with the box and i often have to re synchronise. 

0 Kudos
GardenGal45
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

After nearly a year with this problem and NO assist from "customer service," I finally switched to my Rechargeable AAA batteries. Hooray!  This has eliminated the draining problem! Can't believe when I spent weeks searching for answers/help, that no one else recommended this.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@akluch

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response.

Roku Voice Remote Pro mainly highlights that it is rechargeable compared to the regular Roku Voice Remote. If you want to know more features about the said remotes, feel free to click the links above. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Remoteissues @sjpriv

Thanks for the posts.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Experiment with the aluminum foil was a failure. . Batteries flat in 3 days

0 Kudos