Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrtinz
Channel Surfer

Universal IR Remote programming for specific channels(apps)?

Jump to solution

I set two favorite channels to my Roku Voice remote programmable buttons.  I'd like to program those into my Logitech 650, which has different channels.  I can reprogram those buttons on my 650 *IF* I had a way to transmit those codes over IR rather than RF(WiFi Direct) from my Roku remote to my Logitech which has an IR receiver. 

Or possibly there is another way?  Different Roku remotes have different direct access buttons.  One of my Roku remotes has ESPN, another has Sling, and still another has Hulu.  When I set up my Logitech, it has Crackle(sheesh!) which I don't see on ANY Roku remote.  I simply do not understand how those direct access buttons are set up, but obviously it CAN be done over IR since my 650 can do it.

Anyone know how this is done?  I'd sure like to set up a button for Prime video for instance.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jrtinz
Channel Surfer

Re: Universal IR Remote programming for specific channels(apps)?

Jump to solution

Edmond:

Genius!  Sorry to say it did not work... I mean my universal took the programmed keys from the Roku remote per your instruction, but something was lost in translation. 🙂  But now I know how to switch my Roku remote to IR, which I have long wanted to do.  Nowhere else have I found how to do that and believe me I've looked!

Thanks for taking time to respond...

-jrt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You're speaking of the 1 & 2 keys that are programmable? And want them in your universal remote? The commands that are programmed in to those keys are memorized by the Roku itself, the 1 & 2 keys signals never change, just what the Roku does with them is what changes.

Try this, unplug the Roku power plug, your wifi remote should switch to IR for the Roku commands, teach it to the universal, once done plug the Roku back in and try out the commands. The Roku remote will be wifi again. Of course this will only work on Roku's that accept IR commands, no Sticks. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jrtinz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Edmond:

Genius!  Sorry to say it did not work... I mean my universal took the programmed keys from the Roku remote per your instruction, but something was lost in translation. 🙂  But now I know how to switch my Roku remote to IR, which I have long wanted to do.  Nowhere else have I found how to do that and believe me I've looked!

Thanks for taking time to respond...

-jrt

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jrtinz,

Thanks for the update. 

We're glad to know that it works for you. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

Happy Streaming!

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@jrtinz 

Sorry, but Roku no longer accept IR commands for the 1 & 2 keys after an update from Roku. 😞 Not even the discrete codes from UEI made universal remotes work anymore. Those had three commands, call them 1, 2, & 3 while they lasted. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
fredcsmith
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the Harmony 655. Logitech has not put out any updates for the remote. My Roku [is the latest?] is the 4802X. There are buttons on the remote for both Disney+ and Paramount+.

On my Harmony, I just wanted to add 2 buttons on the screen for these channels. But, I need to figure out here at Roku how to do this? Harmony actually directed me here to get the IR codes for these channels. But, is this possible?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

You should be able to teach it those buttons using the original Roku remote.  Disconnect the power to 4802 and the remote should go into IR mode as @Tivoburkee said above.  Then you can use the Harmony's learning function.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/teach-harmony-a-missing-command

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@fredcsmith 

Yes, unplug the power to the Ultra, now its remote will emit IR commands, which your Harmony can be taught. Once its learned, power the Ultra back on, its remote will be wifi again, but at the same time it will accept the IR commands from your Harmony remote. 

There are aftermarket remotes that accept 5-digit codes for individual functions like Disney+ or Paramount+ and so forth. These are UEI made remotes under such brands as One-For-All, Onn, Insignia, and Inteset. Cheapest is the Onn 6 universal remote from Walmart:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Disney+ 00070

Paramount+ 00120

There are many more commands available.

Edmund

0 Kudos
fredcsmith
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Disney+ 00070

Paramount+ 00120

Just to clarify, could I just use these codes in teaching mode in the harmony?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@fredcsmith 

You would first map them to a key on the UEI made remote like Onn 6 I linked to, using Roku setup code 3061. Then use the following to map it to a key:

1. Roku device

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SETUP for one blink

5. enter 5-digit code like 00070 for Disney+

6. pick a key. 

From now on that key will send you to Disney+, you can now use that remote and the key to teach the Harmony remote. The UEI remote is good for other channels you don't have preset on your Roku remote, but if you're only after the P+ & D+ then just unplug the Ultra and use its remote to teach the Harmony. 

Edmund

0 Kudos