Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dsatelt

How to fix Roku Streaming Stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

My Roku Streaming Stick+ remote's battery life is about 3 days before they need to be replaced. Why is this and how do I fix it?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku Streaming Stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thank you for letting us know about the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing. Our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

In the meantime, if you are powering your Streaming Stick through the USB port on your TV, we would recommend that you power your Roku device through a wall outlet to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As stated previously, our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

In the meantime, if you are powering your Streaming Stick through the USB port on your TV, we would recommend that you power your Roku device through a wall outlet to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku replacement remote

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue regarding remote battery drain on Streaming Stick+ (3810).

We have released an update to your remote that we believe will address the issue you are experiencing. Please perform a system restart from your Roku device. This will update your remote to the latest version. This can be done by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart. After you perform the system update, continue to use your device as normal and monitor the remote battery percentage listed under Settings > Remotes > About. Additionally, if you had moved your Roku device power source to a wall outlet to help address this problem, you may now reconnect the USB cable to your TV's USB port if preferred. 

Please let us know if you notice any improvements in battery life or if the issue is persisting.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

670 REPLIES 670
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Streaming Stick+ 3810X Remote Battery Drain

Jump to solution

I bought 3 Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X) a month ago. They are all running 9.4.0 build 4200-50. Two of the three remotes won't even last a week before they need new batteries. Those two Rokus were only used for a couple days and the TVs they're plugged into were powered off all the rest of the time. The 3rd Roku gets used every day. Strangely, the batteries in that remote are still at 60%.

The only difference between these Rokus is that the 3rd Roku stick gets its power directly from a wall outlet while the other two sticks get their power from the TV's USB port so they lose power when the TV is turned off.

It makes me wonder if powering the sticks via the TV's USB port somehow causes the batteries in the remotes to drain much more quickly than when the sticks are powered by the wall outlet. Perhaps the batteries are drained as the remotes keep trying to find the Roku sticks when they lose power. I'm going to try powering all of my sticks via a wall outlet and see if that helps make the remote batteries last longer.

Jump to solution

Same issue, except mine last between 1-2 weeks.

pretty frustrating 

Ryryry
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine does as well. I purchased 5 of the roku 4k stick and only one remote does this. I am very disappointed because Charter didn't come to an agreement with roku, I will be selling all roku and going something else that supports charter. Big mistake roku.

mos92a

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I have to change the batteries in the remote about once a week. Oddly enough, I have another Roku Stick+ that doesnt have this problem at all. Same model and everything.

SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  I bought 3 Streaming Stick+ and 2 of the remotes drain new batteries in about a week with little use.  The other remote that we actually use heavily every day has the original batteries from November and they still have 61% battery left.  The only difference with this one is the Roku stick it's paired with is plugged into an AC outlet.  The other 2 Rokus that battery drain the remotes quickly are plugged into the TV's USB port.  Coincidence or hit & miss factory defects?  I wish Roku representative would directly respond here with a solution.

companyinvestor
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming Stick+ 3810X Remote Battery Drain

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and am on my second streaming stick from Amazon (returned the first one).  The replacement does the same thing.  I have to remove the batteries from the remote to prevent complete drain in a week.  What's up ROKU?

NKW

Remotes drain batteries within a day

Jump to solution

We are enjoying ROKU streaming devices, having switched from an internet TV provider.  At first everything was going well, and then recently two of our remotes quit working.  We replaced the batteries in the remotes and they worked again.  By the next day, the remotes quit working and we needed to install new batteries.  The batteries only last one day before the remotes stop working again.  We are hoping that there is products support to provide remotes that will not require new batteries every day.  Thank you!

beeteahc28
Reel Rookie

Defective remote eats batteries; second Stick with this problem

Jump to solution

The remote for my Streaming Stick 3810 is eating batteries and needs to be replaced. A stick I bought my mother had the same problem. You just replaced that remote and we are waiting to see if it is an improvement. 

I had hoped I would be lucky when I bought this stick, but the remote that came with mine also eats batteries. I never use voice or headphones, and I return the unit to Home each night before turning off the TV. 

Why did you ever go to these smaller remotes with AAA batteries? The AA batteries for my heftier remote for my Ultra last ages.

Please replace this remote with one that doesn't need batteries two or more times a month.

I tried to find some way to contact Roku support directly, but could find only something for returning the Stick. Is it the Stick or the remote that is the issue?

Thank you.

ntea
Channel Surfer

About not posting support questions here; then how do I get help with defective remote?

Jump to solution

I don't understand the message at the side of my screen about support, so I don't know where to post an issue about a remote that is eating batteries. Your message says: Please DO NOT post support questions in this section of the Community—they will be moderated. Visit the Roku Player Support, Roku TV, or Roku Audio categories to post any support or help related questions.

Where and how do I post my message if I have a defective remote?

The remote for my Streaming Stick 3810 is eating batteries and needs to be replaced. A stick I bought my mother had the same problem. Roku just replaced that remote, and she is waiting to see if it is an improvement. 

I had hoped I would be lucky when I bought my Stick, but the remote that came with mine also eats batteries. I never use voice or headphones, and I return the unit to Home each night before turning off the TV. I never would have bought this Stick if I knew ahead of time about this issue.

I wonder why Roku ever went to these smaller remotes with AAA batteries? The AA batteries for my heftier remote for my Ultra last ages, as they should.

Please replace this remote with one that doesn't need batteries two or more times a month.

I tried to find some way to contact Roku support in the proper way, but could find only something for returning the Stick. Is it the Stick or the remote that is the issue? I have no idea.

Roku, please help me.